Autolite Spark Plugs- Any Good ? Made By Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my parts dealers is pushing the line of autolite spark plugs lately. In the past we have used original equipment plugs in all the engines we rebuild. We lean toward champion for a lot of them also.

For the last month we have been getting autolite plugs and so far no problem but im interested in what other say about autolite spark plugs by fram.

Autolites are very good in many vehicles especially as a replacement for Motorcrafts. Autolite platinums are one of the only plugs that worked well in my Ford. I tried every Bosch known to man before i realized my Ford hates bosch, including the IR Fusion, and all platinums.

i used to hate autolites back in the 90's. nothing but trouble from them in my chevies. worked well in my scout and they work well in my jeep.look for the coo. some are made in china now. the double platinums im running came from mexico.

From early youth to my mid-life crisis, one plug has fired my passion - NGK.
smile.gif

I found Autolite Plugs to be excellent plugs in all my Ford applications. Their double platinum plugs are great in my 00 Century, thanks Trav for making the suggestion!!

Autolite plugs have always performed quite well in my cars, motorcycles and lawn mowers. They also have a rebate going most of the time which makes them a "best bang for the buck".

Autolite is Americas top selling spark plug.I have had bad service from Champion conventional Copper plugs whereas the Autolite conventional outlast them and foul out less.Great service in small engines too although Champions "Easy Start" small engine plugs are good too.Autolite makes Motorcraft plugs,and with the exception of the stupid 2-piece Ford Triton V8 design plug,they have done only good things over the years.Even their metal contruction was heavier than Champions (at least was,years ago).

Thats our Option #2 in our shop, we try to match OEM equipped plugs as much as we can, for eg Denso/NGK for Japanese mfc, AC Delco for GM, Champion/NGK for Dodge/Chrystler etc. But when those are not available or the customer does not want to pay as much, Autolites have been a safe second bet.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
One of my parts dealers is pushing the line of autolite spark plugs lately. In the past we have used original equipment plugs in all the engines we rebuild. We lean toward champion for a lot of them also.

For the last month we have been getting autolite plugs and so far no problem but im interested in what other say about autolite spark plugs by fram.

I like the Autolite double platinums, never had a problem with them. I would say they are good plugs.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
We lean toward champion for a lot of them also.

This is you first mistake. Champion Spark plugs have not made a decent product since the 60's

NGK is the world leader and dominated the market.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Thats our Option #2 in our shop, we try to match OEM equipped plugs as much as we can, for eg Denso/NGK for Japanese mfc, AC Delco for GM, Champion/NGK for Dodge/Chrystler etc. But when those are not available or the customer does not want to pay as much, Autolites have been a safe second bet.

AC Delco plugs are made by NGK

My Saturn SL2 came with NGK. But I know someone who ran Autolites in his 95 SL2. Put 650,000 miles on the motor and was getting over 40 mpg. Like others, I have had nothing but good from NGK, but would go with Autolite as second choice.

I offer my unscientific, anecdotal, dated, narrow and likely worthless input.

I changed plugs religiously in a 1970 Ford 400-2V (in a Mercury Monterey) throughout its life and the Autolites were always the cleanest.
I attributed this to the black finished metal rather than the chrome finish of Champions and others. I foolishly concluded the black finish conducted electricity better.

I've been driving cars which specify one plug only for so long now, I can't even think about what's it like to think about plugs anymore (Ha-Ha).

The non-turbo B5254S Volvo engine calls for Volvo's 3 prong plug and the Saabs in the family all had a designated plug.

I'd bet Sis' 2012 Skyaktiv 2.0L (1998cc.) and Bro's 2007 Honda 3.5L have designated plugs too.

My Bro-in-law's diesel has real inexpensive plugs. (Ha-Ha II) Kira

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

AC Delco plugs are made by NGK

Motorcraft replacement plug for my 2005 Ford looks like the NGK Laser Irdium, not Autolite XP. Presently running Autolite AP104 platinum. Previously, AC Delco Rapidfire provided better acceleration but my mechanic thinks the AC's ruined the old coil boots.

I use Autolite 3923 copper core plugs in my Dakota. A lot of other Dakota owners use 3923's too. They work great and are easily bought at Walmart. The 3923's I use are made in Mexico but I have never had a problem with them and have not heard of anyone else having problems with them either.

Another autolite fan here. Using them in our Olds Aurora as well as the truck. Bike might have NGK or Autolite I just don't remember.

Originally Posted By: Kira
The non-turbo B5254S Volvo engine calls for Volvo's 3 prong plug and the Saabs in the family all had a designated plug . . .

Some engines simply will not run well other than on the OEM plug, and that Volvo is absolutely one of them. Europeans are particularly picky about deviations from OEM for some reason. A blanket love for Densos and NGKs must be tempered with these.

FWIW, Autolites were our go-to plug for most Ford engines from the early '60s into the late '80s, and for ALL the V-8s.

Once cars started specifying platinum plugs, substitutions started getting more complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back