Subaru Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
From CNBC.com

Subaru of America, a unit of Fuji Heavy Industries, is recalling 660,238 Outback, Legacy, Impreza and Forester vehicles registered in cold-weather U.S. states because of possible corrosion of brake lines, safety regulators said on Thursday.

Brake line corrosion could cause leaking of brake fluid and make the brakes less effective, increasing the risk of a crash, according to a report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Affected vehicles are the 2009-2013 Forester, the 2008-2011 Impreza and the 2008-2014 Impreza WRX/STI, the 2005-2009 Outback and the 2005-2009 Legacy, the NHTSA said.

Subaru was not immediately available to comment on the recall or say if vehicles are being recalled outside the United States.

There was no mention of any crashes, injuries or deaths related to the problem on the NHTSA website.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101810759

I can pile that on top of the fuel leak recall I never did
smile.gif
on my 2005 Legacy GT wagon.

Pretty sad that 5 year old brake lines are rotting out. I really want to move away from my VW but after 10 years and more usage than the typical driver I still do not have rusty brake lines.

I don't get why OEM's don't just use "good" metal in such an important item.

just like why companies dont put "good airbags" in the cars?

probably a supplier issue.

quite a few things rusting .. here in the rust belt..
but my brake lines dont appear to be..

maybe at the end near the wheel cylinders?

I'll inspect next rotation.

OTOH.. Family had a dodge aries... it rotted out all 4 brake lines after 6-7 Years... no recall there..

I was power washing the car.. and it actually blew a hole in one of the brake lines... I guess better there than on the highway.

Last edited:
Real sad. I just did a 06 Yukon XL Denali front to rear with NiCopp lines and ss plastic covered braided hoses.
The originals literally rotted right off the truck when i pulled the tank for the fuel pump.
The new lines will last almost infinitum.

There is no excuse for rusted brake, evap, fuel lines, tanks and fuel filler necks today.

Had lots of rust patches on the stamped steel suspension components and a very rusty exhaust on my 2012 Legacy, plus it started forming rust around the drain holes on the underside of the trunk lid. It was leased and returned.

Current 2014 XV crosstrek has the same type of rust spots on the suspension parts and a horrible looking exhaust for basically brand-new. Hopefully nothing forms under the rear hatch for a long time to come.

"Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain model year 2005-2009 Outback and Legacy, 2008-2011 Impreza and 2008-2014 Impreza WRX/STI, and 2009-2013 Forester vehicles, currently, or formerly, registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia. Salt water could splash on the brake lines through a gap in the fuel tank protector, resulting in excessive corrosion of the brake lines"

I'm confused. I'm pretty sure I read about this exact recall about a year ago, and had the service done on our '07 Outback.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I'm confused. I'm pretty sure I read about this exact recall about a year ago, and had the service done on our '07 Outback.

It looks like it has been expanded.

It seems like subaru seems to make traps for salt and grit. The fuel filler protector wore thru on my old outback. This recall seems to be similar.

Originally Posted By: supton
Pretty sad that 5 year old brake lines are rotting out. I really want to move away from my VW but after 10 years and more usage than the typical driver I still do not have rusty brake lines.

I don't know what latest recall focuses on, but on the last recall I don't believe it was the brake lines themselves that were rusting through. I'm pretty sure was some of the fittings that connect to a four way joint connector. Here's some pictures of what my joint connector and fittings looked like before and after an anti-corrosion wax was applied. The last picture shows where the pictures were taken from, under the protective plastic cover through one of the holes, and a little door that you can open up. So the area does have some protection, but salt water can still splash up and get on the brake lines. At the time of the pictures, my 2009 subaru had around 120k miles I believe, and had seen a lot of new england winter driving over 4 years or so.

Originally Posted By: supton

You would think that with brakes being such an important safety device.....gotta stop the vehicle.....that the best materials would be used.....lines and connectors. Be it Subaru or any other manufacturer.

So what it brake components last longer than the rest of the vehicle.

Winter....ugghhh. Subaru should be on top of this considering many people buy their cars almost strictly for their good winter capability.

Both of my vehicles brake lines still look brand new. Combined 27 years old with 290k miles on them. And i live in Pennsylvania.

We had this done and I live in Coastal NH and the dealer service department stated not a single Subaru they have worked on has had any issue related to this problem worth actually replacing brake lines. I think they applied some sort of inhibitor some parts.

I got the letter in the mail for the Forester the other day.
I'll have to get it in.
Since there have been no reported accidents related to failed brake lines, Subaru appears to be going the extra mile to ensure that owners won't have problems.
At what point can NHTSA mandate a recall for corrosion damage to any part of any car?
In states where plenty of rock salt is applied each winter, corrosion is an unfortunate fact of life.
You can actually see cars looking progressively worse as you go north.
For example, cars in the northern tier of Ohio show a lot more rust than do cars in this part of the state.

Originally Posted By: buster
Winter....ugghhh. Subaru should be on top of this considering many people buy their cars almost strictly for their good winter capability.

I hear that. They historically rust to pieces in my area, yet they continue to sell like hotcakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back