FL 1A Controversy Continues - There are TWO STYLES !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After some of the recent postings and pictures, I went to Wal-Mart to see their Motorcraft FL1As, they are nothing like the Motorcraft FL1As I bought at Advance Auto last week. These have a coil spring bypass on the threaded end of the filter. The Advance Auto FL1As have the clicker style. What is the story here???

was the box different too? I've seen boxes with a car on them and some generic looking red and white boxes...i assume that the latter is old stock.

Clicker? Got any pictures. Most people are talking about a Champion labs filter when they say clicker. AFAIK all Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator.

Motocraft is the aftermarket division of Ford. They purchase filters private branded for them from various sources. Primarily Purolator and Champion Labs ...in the USA.

The Motocraft filter is not necessarily the same as the Engine division filter that comes on the engine when the engine is assembled.

Thanks for the replies. The boxes are identical. When I say 'clicker style' I mean the leaf spring like purolator uses. (still lets bypassed oil pass over contaminated filter element before going back into core of the filter and then into the motor) The old-style Motorcraft FL1A I just purchased this week has the coil spring just below the threads (clearly visible).This bypasses at the threaded end and bypassed oil never reaches the filter element, just sent directly back into the motor.

I thought the Champion filters were only a select few applications, and OEM filters.

I thought and have understood that only Purolator made the "aftermarket" Motorcraft filters. If that's truly the case, why are there two different styles of FL1As floating around parts house shelves? I highly doubt Purolator has changed the design and fakes are unlikely too. Is Champ or someone else now in the aftermarket Motorcraft filter business?

Edit-Every off the shelf Motorcraft FL1A I have ever seen over the many years has always, always had the coil spring, threaded end bypass. I've never seen a leaf spring type bypass on a FL1A. You've got to post pics of this if you can. Email those pics to Purolator and see what they tell you.

Champ has built Motocraft filter since 1982 when I started at Champ. ( and left in 2000)

That does not mean every part number that Motocraft offers.

Purolator is the primary supplier for Motocraft, as of now. And Champ the secondary.

Champ has all the Ford engine plant business in North America and Mexico.

If your asking me...

The two Motocraft filters pictured are Purolator design in that link.

The Champ built Motocraft filters will have a letter code stamped in the backplate assembly ( the metal piece with the threads and the inlet holes). It should be AA from memory..
tongue.gif

Look at the backplates of the Mobil and the K&N , you'll see what I mean. Those are Champ manufactured filters. The STP and Super Tech are as well but those are the new design E-core style. The Champ made Motocraft will resemble the Mobil 1 design internally. The filter shell will be the standard multi "fluted" design. Flutes is the terminology for those flat spot area's on the bottom of the can.

I thought Champ built MC filters were only on the cars from the factory and all the aftermarket MC filters were the Purolator built. So I wonder if the factory filter is a clicker and a load got misdirected and is now on the shelf at some stores.

Every one I have seen at Wal-mart has been a Purolator Motorcraft. Perhaps Advance is getting filters through the wrong channels again. Any chance these could be from Mexico like the AC-delco filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back