Are all XW-20 and -30 oils API energy conserving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
I don't want to get into whether E85 actually conserves energy or not... and if the oil is supposed to be good for emissions control equipment and turbochargers, then say that.

To call it 'resource conserving' is playing on the buyer's sense of environmental guilt. That's why I say it's a marketing term.

What?

Your answers in this thread tell me you must be new and haven't read a whole lot. I suggest sticking around,read more and post less for a while.
Call it an ounce of prevention.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
What?

Your answers in this thread tell me you must be new and haven't read a whole lot. I suggest sticking around,read more and post less for a while.
Call it an ounce of prevention.

What what?

Okay, so I never took the tribology elective in college... but I did get an A in my IC Engines class.

And if you look at my stats, you might notice that I've been mostly lurking for about three years. I see a lot of armchair engineers around here... and a lot of people who seem incapable of distinguishing regulation from advertizing claims from actual technical information.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Thanks, Hokie... you just made me die a little inside.

Yeah, for better or for worse, the NHTSA is the government's CAFE monger. From the Federal Register that sets the 2017 CAFE rules, Vol 77, No 199:

Quote:
NHTSA, on behalf of the Department of Transportation, and EPA are issuing final rules to further reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve fuel economy for light-duty vehicles for model years 2017 and beyond. On May 21, 2010, President Obama issued a Presidential Memorandum requesting that EPA and NHTSA develop through notice and comment rulemaking a coordinated National Program to improve fuel economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions of light-duty vehicles for model years 2017–2025, building on the success of the first phase of the National Program for these vehicles for model years 2012–2016. These final rules are consistent with the President’s request and respond to the country’s critical need to address global climate change and to reduce oil consumption.

And then further in the document, from the section, "Why does NHTSA set CAFE standards for passenger cars and light trucks?", we have this:

Quote:
Improving vehicle fuel economy has been long and widely recognized as one of the key ways of achieving energy independence, energy security, and a low carbon economy.922 The significance accorded to improving fuel economy reflects several factors. Conserving energy, especially reducing the nation’s dependence on petroleum, benefits the U.S. in several ways. Improving energy efficiency has benefits for economic growth and the environment, as well as other benefits, such as reducing pollution and improving security of energy supply. More specifically, reducing total petroleum use decreases our economy’s vulnerability to oil price shocks. Reducing dependence on oil imports from regions with uncertain conditions enhances our energy security. Additionally, the emission of CO2 from the tailpipes of cars and light trucks due to the combustion of petroleum is one of the largest sources of U.S. CO2 emissions.923 Using vehicle technology to improve fuel economy, and thereby reducing tailpipe emissions of CO2, is one of the three main measures of reducing those tailpipe emissions of CO2.924 The two other measures for reducing the tailpipe emissions of CO2are switching to vehicle fuels with lower carbon content, and changing driver behavior, i.e., inducing people to drive less.

Again...why the NHTSA was chosen to be the CAFE king instead of another agency...I don't know. But they were.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Again...why the NHTSA was chosen to be the CAFE king instead of another agency...I don't know. But they were.

Because bureaucrats really don't know their backsides from holes in the ground?

And I have to love the line about reducing CO2 emissions by inducing people to drive less... in other words, making it unpleasant to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back