20-30 wt doesnt matter??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running 5w-20 in my 1.8T for a short OCI (short tripping it only) to hopefully clean it up a bit. Previous owner neglected this car and a used engine was installed. Hope it doesn't grenade on me.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
I often interchange Resource Conserving 5w20 and 5w30 grades all the time in 20 & 30 grade apps. Because in that realm, it's not even worth it for me to waste my time fussing or overlooking one to obtain the other- they're both light, low-HTHS oils; one not being much more durable than the other.

Now non-resource conserving ACEA/API C rated 5w30s are a different matter; we would then have clear distinctions between the two

Same here

OK, "hard" on oil. What property of a XW-20 oil is most affected by an engine that is "hard" on oil? I thought it was about maintaining adequate oil pressure.

My 1MZ-FE is very hard on oil too. The gear driven camshafts shear the oil and the head temperatures are very high, especially in the rear bank. See my pictures somewhere on this site of the engine that visually show this, even when using a top-shelf synthetic oil at a relatively short OCI. So I would benefit from running a thicker oil than the 5W-20 I use? What benefit?

So the oil flows through a superhot bearing at ridiculous speeds. What does the thickness of the oil have to do with protection there? Isn't it more about the oxidation stability of the oil at that point? Or are you saying it won't lubricate the bearing properly?

When you made the statement about turbo engines I was sincerely asking what you meant. You could have picked a lot of other valid reasons for not wanting a thinner oil in an engine, but that was one I didn't understand why.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Can you explain how that makes a difference?

Originally Posted By: deven
Its not turbo'd like most new one nowadays

Turbo's are VERY HARD on oil ... it is the nature of the component. Oil flows thru a superhot bearing spinning at ridiculous speeds, and gets the [censored] beat out of it doing so...and the engines tend to run hotter as well, being higher power density than a normally aspirated motor.

The WRONG oil in some turbo app's will shear down very quickly ... SUBARU is one manufacturer who has SHORTENED OCI's on all turbo motors, stating they are SEVERE SERVICE applications, period...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back