Four-stroke engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember how or when I learned how a 4 stroke engine works. I know that in my junior year in high school auto shop class (about 9 years ago), my teacher told us about the "suck, squeeze, bang, blow" mnemonic. That was the first time I heard that mnemonic, but by then I already knew how a 4 stroke engine works.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Nope and I prefer not to hear it being described as that either. Bugs me. Just my 2c.

a little sensitive are we. ha ha just kidding.

No, I just think that the industry is already frowned upon as a whole (we are now asking to watch oil filters being installed, what's next?). Sayings such as these certainly do not spew professionalism. Just my take on it.

Last edited:
My thoughts are a person who knows and understands how a four-stroke engine works would use a more technical term for each stroke. The SSBB method seems childish.

Understanding the sequence of events of a two-stroke/four-stroke engine is kind of like riding a bicycle....once you learn it, it's there forever and you either get it or you don't. I don't see how the SSBB would help you "remember"....if you forget the strokes, then you haven't gotten it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back