RIP 2.2 Ecotec 2004-20014

Status
Not open for further replies.
My recently drowned 2.2 blew up today. Nothing dramatic, just a crunch. I couldn't see where the damage was but oil was all over the place.

I got it on GoPro and I'll upload it after work tonight.

Last edited:
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
How many miles were on it?

Got it with 12 miles on the odo, it had about 134,000 at time of death.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I thought it died when you drowned it.

Nope. I pumped out the water and changed the oil a couple of times to get rid of the milkshake in the crankcase, then it was running fine. It actually seemed to run better than it has been for awhile ... until today.

I have seen that happen before several times on a certain line of MB 12 and 16 litre truck engines. And i really did not get it at the start off it. They would typically hydrolock because of coolant running in and standing on the Pistons. The water would get there because of tiny holes in the liners(the holes came over time due to bad engine to frame negative connection and a bad water pump design)

Back to the point, after being turnt off over night. Water hydrolocked the engine prevailing it to crank. We took it apart. Changed liners piston crowns and bearings. The engine would run perfect for 2000-3000 km. And the engine would die in a very spectacular way. We found the reason was the crankshaft twistet a bit, when hydrolocking. And later it would snap. Change the crankshaft as well and it would go another 2000000 million km.

Maybe the same thing happened with yours.

And sorry for your loss

as I mentioned to OP before during his first posting RE: hydrolocked engine: have to dismantle to check crank, pushrods, etc. for bends and/or fracture.

This was what I learned from some old grease hands from down-under: old landrover hydrolocked during failed stream negotiations....ended up having to check everything and threw away bent rods, etc.

Q.

The explanations offered here of a hydrolock tweaking something that later fails makes complete sense to me.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The explanations offered here of a hydrolock tweaking something that later fails makes complete sense to me.
Yes , I would suspect a conn rod let go from the noise you describe and the oil leakage from the damage .

To bad , 134K is low miles .

How's the rest of the car? Is the body in good condition?

If you like the vehicle, find a rebuilt motor for it.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
How's the rest of the car? Is the body in good condition?

If you like the vehicle, find a rebuilt motor for it.

The rest of the car is in great shape. I'll probably get a salvage 2.4, as they seem to cost less than 2.2s for some reason. The head and everything else from the 2.2 will bolt right on.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The video:

So you just happened to be recording it when it happened? You were awfully calm when it blew, I would have freaked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back