Ask to see the oil filter being installed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
2014 Hyundai Sonata 2.4

Dealer oil change on 8/3 (dealer where i purchased vehicle)
Today, after 15 min of driving, i hear a weird rattle from under the car. I get under as far as i can and it sounds like it's coming from the filter area (covered in plastic with a narrow access hole so not 100% sure). I pull into the Hyundai dealership near my office (different dealership) and they take a look. Sure enough, the filter is the issue. After the tech removed the oem filter and changed the oil, the noise vanished. He showed me the filter and it had a small dent on the bottom (where bypass valve relief spring sits). They used QSGB since they are one of the Quaker State preferred dealerships and changed the filter (he showed me the one he was installing). This dealership's concern (and mine) is that the dent 'may' have been there during the initial installation because it is almost impossible to get a dent like that where the filter sits, but it is 'possible'. Anyway, check those filters if you have someone else change the oil. Just in case.

Last edited:
I didnt pay for the OC, filter or labor since i have a maint plan and to be fair, there is no proof the filter wasnt damaged while driving so i can't get my money back for the MaxLife that was hardly used. (i bring my own oil). Live and learn...

Last edited:
Yeah I understand I would svoid them like the plague if it was my vehicle but I like to make sure things are done right.Sounds like a bad deal either way at least you caught it.

No way that filter gets damaged in normal driving. I change my own oil/filter on my 2013 Sonata 2.4 L. That filter is not an easy access, recessed the way it is.
The filter was probably dropped during install, or somehow dented prior to install.

Originally Posted By: Danno
No way that filter gets damaged in normal driving. I change my own oil/filter on my 2013 Sonata 2.4 L. That filter is not an easy access, recessed the way it is.
The filter was probably dropped during install, or somehow dented prior to install.

That's what we believe as well.

Free or not, gone forever.

Then they wonder why we don't trust them. A letter to the dealer owner is so in order here. Really, installing a dented filter? Imagine what that tech is capable of doing (or not doing) for any repair requiring even half a brain.

Yep, shame on that tech for installing what was likely a pre-dented filter on your car. I'd at least call the Service Manager and/or the GM of the dealer and let them know what happened.

You paid for a maintenance plan, and still bring your own oil on your dime?
confused.gif
21.gif

I would guess the Service Manager could care less. I've only found 2 out of 20 that cared. Many mechanics, service writers and managers despise customers - though the tension is a boomerang of their corporate promoted apathy.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Free or not, gone forever.

Then they wonder why we don't trust them. A letter to the dealer owner is so in order here. Really, installing a dented filter? Imagine what that tech is capable of doing (or not doing) for any repair requiring even half a brain.

Bingo!

The ENTIRE auto repair and service industry (which includes
$tealerships, chain shops, and even independents) have one of the very worst reputations among consumers and yet, after all these years, the industry as a whole has done NOTHING of note to change that issue industry wide. That is because they don't give a flying fork!

There is a reason why customers automatically think that the moment they set foot in ANY repair shop they are going to be screwed, blued, and tattooed.

I personally would love to find a reputable, competent, and honest shop where I could spend my money and not think I was being ripped off, but sadly I have looked far and wide and have found NONE that can be trusted. I keep the cars running as best I can, and only take my car in to a shop when it is near breakdown status.

Last edited:
I am lucky that I have an independent shop that is very honest with me and others.
I have worked on cars of my own and for friends for many years and now that I am older and not as agile crawling under cars I had to find a shop to do what I cant now.
I know enough to know when I am being taken advantage of and this place is honest.
I guess I am lucky

In most cases, a dented oil filter has zero problems in service.
If you are really concerned about your cars, do your own oil changes.
You can then determine for yourself whether you want to throw a six buck filter in the trash because you dropped it or run it on the engine.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
In most cases, a dented oil filter has zero problems in service.
If you are really concerned about your cars, do your own oil changes.
You can then determine for yourself whether you want to throw a six buck filter in the trash because you dropped it or run it on the engine.

A service technician can easily walk back to the parts window and request a new filter. And the dealer can send it back for a replacement. There's no reason other than laziness to not do so.

I personally would throw out anything before installing something I wasn't comfortable with, but in the case of a dealership, cost shouldn't be the issue..competence and the trust that results is.. Or should be.

It's not high mindedness, its good business.

One in a million chance of this happening to someone else.

I always check the filter before I buy it (open the box right there at the shelf) and although I've never seen a dented filter (someone dropped it while looking at it?) I've been plenty of dirty filters (lots of dust and grime) and the occasional FRAM oil filter in a Mobil 1 box. Hahaha.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I didnt pay for the OC, filter or labor since i have a maint plan and to be fair, there is no proof the filter wasnt damaged while driving so i can't get my money back for the MaxLife that was hardly used. (i bring my own oil). Live and learn...

Why are you using Maxlife, which is a Hi mileage oil, on a new 2014 car??

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: wemay

Why are you using Maxlife, which is a Hi mileage oil, on a new 2014 car??

Meets all manufacturer approvals and is now considered the Synthetic Blend for Valvoline (GoodYear Svc Ctr, Valvoline Quick Oil Change etc...) . As long as it says API-SN / ILSAC-GF5 and has the doughnut, you can use it and any other HM oil you'd like. Heck, it's even Resource Conserving. Next up is QS Synthetic blend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
LOL so much for the Hyundai oil filter TSB.......

Filter was damaged. TSB really had no bearing on the issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back