FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MichaelDCRogers
Do you know of European auto-shops in Columbus that stock 0w30...So that I don't have to go through the trouble of going to the trouble of buying some.

AutoZone.

Just found that the AutoZone outlets here in my area seem to be quietly deleting the German (and Belgian) 0W-30 from their shelves. Listed on their website still, but for full $8.99 a quart. Going to miss the in-store specials. Back to Amazon.

I happily use this product in my VW turbo-4s (a 1.8T and a Mk6 GTI). In a moment of impaired impulse control, I've even used it in a '65 Chevy Corvair (less than 20K miles from new, prior meticulous maintenance with detergent oils). Corvair engine pretty much unmolested, notorious O-ring seals never replaced. Oil leaks are minimal with the GC (remarkable for those things). Occasional lifter clatter on cold start has been banished with GC. Seems about the ideal viscosity range for the engine. Admittedly, this is a personal anecdote… not necessarily an informed recommendation. But I have successfully used synthetics (Mobil 1, Delvac 1, more recently Redline) in a number of rare '50s and early '60s cars since the early eighties.

I went out ths weekend to get my Castrol Fix and stumbled across edge 0W-30 with a green label Made in Belgium? The 0w-40 was Made in Germany. Did Castrol stop blending the 0w-30 in Germany?

I can hear it now (I still have my stash of the old red label GC!)

i am with others + consider castrol-BP a lo-life operation. guessing the $6 qt is a fake group synthetic or partly being its in usa

So what is the difference between Belgian made Castrol 0W30 and German made Castrol 0W40 except obvious weigth difference.
They seem to meet the same specs on the back of the bottle.

Krzys

There doesn't seem to be much difference. We've been saying for a while now that Castrol should just kill off the 0w-30 as it is redundant.

I can't figure out why they have the 5w-40 as well...

The 0w30 has titanium and a very low pour point of -60c whereas the 0w40 is Porsche approved. I'm hoping the titanium will make it as smooth as the old green gc.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Here you go

But that's a UK spec sheet. I asked Castrol USA that question last month, and they told me that Castrol Edge 0w-30 sold in the US does not have titanium in it.

The US spec sheet is here:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/9A32D5E3D16D0C5B80257C1600466D1C/$File/BPXE-9AJFL6.pdf

I would tend to believe a foreign spec sheet since the oil's made in Belgium. Castrol US doesn't have a great record on spec sheets, and since it's not bottled in the gold container, it's probably a marketing decision to not list it.

So, how long has Castrol been making the 0W-30 in Belgium, and how long has the 0W-40 been available? I was in Autozone yesterday and saw both for the first time. Has the formulation of the 0W-30 changed and/or is the 0W-40 equally magical? Autozone had both labeled as Castrol Black.

Originally Posted By: BTC
So, how long has Castrol been making the 0W-30 in Belgium,

Around half a year or so.

Quote:
and how long has the 0W-40 been available?

About 1.5 years.

Quote:
Has the formulation of the 0W-30 changed

Hard to say. The TDS certainly hasn't changed, but that's not saying much when it comes to Castrol.

Quote:
Autozone had both labeled as Castrol Black.

The best deal on Castrol 0w-40 is at Walmart - $25/5qt jug.

Just bought my first batch of 0w-30 BC. Haven't put it in yet but did a side by side sniff test and it did smell different from the German version to me. More stink, less gummy bear.

It's exactly the same formulation just made in a different place.

Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4. This same brand name exists in the USA as your beloved GC/BC/XC

X being anywhere else it may be made.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
It's exactly the same formulation just made in a different place.

Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4. This same brand name exists in the USA as your beloved GC/BC/XC

X being anywhere else it may be made.

Really? Did you ever see UOA of 0W30 Made in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back