Rode in a new Tesla last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
But IMO the unbelievable weight and the combo of limited range and LONG charging times in normal homes is still a deal breaker.

I can see your argument on charging times. My only counterpoint is that 99% of people will never need to do more than plug their cars in when they get home and they'll be fine. Moreover, with the money you save annually on fuel, you could rent a car for your occasional road trip and still come out ahead...

On your point about mass, normally I am EXTREMELY sympathetic to this kind of argument as I think even my 3060 lb car is too heavy. I think the Model S clearly deserves to be an exception. It goes, turns, and stops better than anything short of a Panamera GTS, even tire-for-tire.

To me the most exciting thing is the relative simplicity and lack of servicing. We're on the right track, just a bit further to go yet...

Good call.

The Model S could be perfect in a second generation...

Despite the superb dynamics you simply cannot cheat physics. 4800 pounds empty is staggeringly heavy IMO, and my car weighs too much as well. You pay every day for all that weight. It eats tires, brakes (not so bad with regen), suspension parts, etc. And it especially harms you in transient responses (where that RX-8 of yours excels).

Actually, the physics mostly works out neutral. More mass to move laterally in corners... yes. But more downward force on the contact points to do it- the math exactly cancels.

The one area you can't alter is moment of inertia, which comes into play in *very* rapid cornering. Rotating a bigger car thru the turns is harder than rotating a light car through the same turns. Properly sized brakes and suspension will last just as long, also. And with regenerative braking, even accelerating and slowing the mass cancels out (not true with gasoline cars).

Personally, I like heavy but powerful cars far better than I like lightweight sports cars- at least for everyday use. Can't argue that tossing a Miata or Mini or Abarth 500 around doesn't make me smile hugely, I just don't want that kidney-pounding every day. In that regard the Tesla S would suit me just fine. But I fully realize I'm a few standard deviations off the mean... :)

Nice! I was at a Tesla store this week. I actually got to sit in a Type-S. Naturally I played with as many buttons as I could (or should I say touch screen). I then moved over to the new model they had, I forget the name ($65k sticker price), and played with the outer electric door handles. This was the first time I had ever been close to any Tesla model cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back