undercap PU pics, 56k beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You Guy`s are something...
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
My guess is it is to catch the plastic rings that fall off the bottles of oil while people are pouring oil in.

Aluminum foil too.

my guess for the baffle(in the 4.6l case), is so the moisture will collect on the outside of the baffle and drip back into the oil instead of building up on the oil cap where the customers can see it. Out of site, out of mind for the customer, and no oil cap sludge complaints for DCX

My 2.4l has a metal plate inside the fill hole. I cant see any valvetrain at all. I was planning on removing it when I replaced the VC gasket, but it was spot welded in about 15 spots.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hooligan24
my guess for the baffle(in the 4.6l case), is so the moisture will collect on the outside of the baffle and drip back into the oil instead of building up on the oil cap where the customers can see it. Out of site, out of mind for the customer, and no oil cap sludge complaints for DCX

My 2.4l has a metal plate inside the fill hole. I cant see any valvetrain at all. I was planning on removing it when I replaced the VC gasket, but it was spot welded in about 15 spots.

My 5.4L has no baffle. But then it doesn't need to because it doesn't create gobs of emulsified garbage.

Originally Posted By: Anies
I recently peeked into my Wife's 03 Grand Am and its spotless(was varnished before switching her over to synthetic). Car had 42k on it when we bought it and an unknown history. Switched her to M1 and after about 19k miles the inside is spotless. I can't say the same for my G6 as i have stupid baffle blocking the way, but it looks clean
wink.gif

Bill in Utah must not have seen this post. He'd have a conniption. :)

had to throw this out there....

funny how everyone bought into pennzoil's marketing for cleaning abilities. im sure 90% of other synthetics out there will clean just as well if not better.

Originally Posted By: JAG
I recently peeked into my Wife's 03 Grand Am and its spotless(was varnished before switching her over to synthetic). Car had 42k on it when we bought it and an unknown history. Switched her to M1 and after about 19k miles the inside is spotless. I can't say the same for my G6 as i have stupid baffle blocking the way, but it looks clean
wink.gif

Not saying the synthetic is better, just saying Mobil 1 and on time oil changes helped. Better than it was before, considering that 42k prior miles is unknown territory. The G6 is on its first and last fill of synthetic Mobil 1. Ran it to do some cleaning and will be adding MMO to it 500 miles before dumping. Have 2800 miles on it and @ 46% oil life. Thinking of using BJ's to snag some Formula Shell, or Walmart for MC5k/Valvoline White Bottle.

Originally Posted By: beast3300

I took a clearer pictures this morning to show the inside VC varnish disappearing.
7/21/2010:
capturepx.png

Where is the varnish going? I hope your filter is stopping all of it.

That's a great question. I'm gonna cut the Pureone open at the end of the OC. So, I hope so.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman

funny how everyone bought into pennzoil's marketing for cleaning abilities. im sure 90% of other synthetics out there will clean just as well if not better.

I doubt there are any out there that will clean better, but only time will tell.

I bought into it because of price. $19 for 4.4L of PP. Next cheapest syn was $28 for Supertech. Everything I`ve read to date (including a test done on different synthetics by Amsoil) leads to me to conclude that it is the best bang for the buck.

I may reconsider if I have to pay full price before it goes in and is due to be changed out (or if oil consumption becomes an issue).

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: lexus114
What is the purpose for those baffle`s anyway ? To keep the motor oil from leaking out around the fill cap or something ?

Well, at a bare minimum, they keep fingers away from moving camshafts, and lobe-slung oil inside the engine. My Camry has a baffle that ends just to where you can see the passenger-side end of the exhaust cam. Last oil change, I backed the car off the ramps before I put the fill cap back in place. Mistake! Even with just a small slice of cam visible beyond the end of the baffle, I still slung a fair amount of oil about the engine room. Would have been a royal mess without the baffle (which I still hate anyway). My theory.

I doubt it, but who knows? How did you come to this conclusion?

wink.gif

No. Until we do the same thing with ANY oil and nothing happen then I'd consider it due ONLY to the oil he used.

Do you really think that if he used Mobil 5000 or Pennzoil Yellow bottle that his "cleaning" would not have happened? The varnish would have gotten worst?

Only Mobil 1 could have done this magic?

Bill

wink.gif

Not saying the synthetic is better, just saying Mobil 1 and on time oil changes helped. Better than it was before, considering that 42k prior miles is unknown territory. The G6 is on its first and last fill of synthetic Mobil 1. Ran it to do some cleaning and will be adding MMO to it 500 miles before dumping. Have 2800 miles on it and @ 46% oil life. Thinking of using BJ's to snag some Formula Shell, or Walmart for MC5k/Valvoline White Bottle.

Thank you for posting some sense! I'd bet it was your on time oil changes that helped the most. Sadly the person who had it before (prob a lease) did little to keep the vehicle running.

Luckily varnish (if you have it) is harmless other than causing the OCD members here seizures and even better that you have reduced it to nothing doing PROPER ocis.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: beast3300

I took a clearer pictures this morning to show the inside VC varnish disappearing.
7/21/2010:
capturepx.png

Where is the varnish going? I hope your filter is stopping all of it.

The filter would catch it. No worries!

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
wink.gif

Thank you for posting some sense! I'd bet it was your on time oil changes that helped the most. Sadly the person who had it before (prob a lease) did little to keep the vehicle running.

Luckily varnish (if you have it) is harmless other than causing the OCD members here seizures and even better that you have reduced it to nothing doing PROPER ocis.

Take care, Bill

Aye I have no doubt that using any oil with on time changes would have resulted in a cleaner engine. I went with synthetic in the wife's Grand Am because she idles A LOT, roughly an hour a day with the A/C going because there is nothing for her to do in town and she doesn't want to sit in the dental office. So she reads a book while listening to her music(I can't do that lol). Couple that with delayed OCI's and well, its a fit for her i guess.

And yes both our cars were off-lease vehicles. Her's came off a 4 year lease, and mine a 3 year.

I ran synthetic in the G6 for one fill because it purportedly can get into nooks and crannies better and I want to use that to its advantage along with the MMO in the next coming months as a finishing touch as I have no idea what its like in there(engine). Negligence is the biggest enemy of an engine, just keep at the maintenance and it will hold its course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back