AT&T KitKat (Android 4.4) Update and Contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update forced on my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. Didn't want it as it broke some apps I was using, but the phone installed it this morning. I don't know if was really forced or something bumped the screen and answered yes for me this am. At it happened on the hour it seems it was forced.

Regardless, it's a done deal now.

Can't address the apps that no longer work. However, I was hoping someone has experience with a solution to the issue of the default save location for contacts.

Prior to the update, Google was my default location. Now, the phone is the default and I don't see a dialog where I can change the default.

I can set the save location for each contact as I save it. But years of conditioning that Google is the default location will be difficult to overcome.

I've tried Google and the tips about clearing the defaults for the Contacts App and rebooting, adding a new contact to Google and that becoming the default location didn't pan out.

I'm trying again in case it was user-error. But I wanted to get the question out there as well.

TIA.

I'd like to know the solution to this problem too!

Android 4.4 hasn't been bad for me, it was the Android 4.3 update that was a mess on my S3.

Maybe off topic: Do your contacts on the phone sync with your Google account? I had a problem where contacts had failed to sync on my S3 months ago, even before the 4.4 update. Disabling and enabling contacts sync (or sync altogether) did not help. What finally fixed contacts sync for me (after the 4.4 update) was one of the procedures in a google forum:

Settings - More - Application manager - ALL - Contacts
- Force stop
- Clear data
then restart.

Let me check. I added one yesterday, and then re-added it with Google...

Yes, it is in my Google account.

I think I have my phone configured to sync once an hour.

Looks like the procedure you provide is the same as was suggested for the default contact location.

I just have to remember to specify Google/gmail for any new contacts I add. Or find a 3rd party contact manager that allows me to specify the contacts location.

Life's little annoyances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back