AMSOIL ASL 5w-30, 5K 2012 Cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like something is has let go or letting go inside, cam phasers or timing chain. Now to see if I can get anything done at the dealer about this.

AC Delco oil filter was used on the second oil change, Wix before that.

Code:
OIL ASL 5w-30 ASL 5w-30

MILES IN USE 5,712 7,169

MILES 16,045 10,333

SAMPLE TAKEN 7/28/14 12/25/13

Spectorscopic Analysis (ppm) ASTM D5185 Mod

Iron 282 41

Copper 3 4

Lead 0 0

Aluminum 11 15

Tin 0 0

Nickel 0 0

Chromium 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Vanadium 0 0

Silver 0 0

Silicon 10 13

Boron 137 72

Calcium 3505 3127

Magnesium 16 18

Phosphorus 649 592

Zinc 743 781

Barium 0 0

Molybdenum 122 46

Sodium 13 10

Potassium 0 0

Physical Properties

Viscosity @ 40C ASTM D 445 Mod 55.6 53.8

Viscosity @ 100C ASTM D 445 Mod 10.5 9.9

Viscosity Index ASTM D 2270 * 182 169

Base Number 2.41 2.31

Acid Number ASTM D 974 3.23 2.95

IR (Indexing Numbers) JOAP Method

Oxidation 76 83

Nitration 14 18

Antiwear 22 22

Sulfation 67 73

Glycol 0 0

Soot (%) 0.0 0.0

Single Component Test

Water ppm 340 (c) 770 (c)

Fuel Dilution % By GC* 2.0 2.5

Last edited:
Amsoil doesn't meet the Dexos spec, hopefully the dealership doesn't give you any trouble. Is 7000 miles within oil life monitor range? Seems long for the engine.

Sweet baby Jesus that's a lot of iron!!!!

Now THAT is a good use of a UOA, looks like you have discovered a legitimate mechanical issue with the engine
thumbsup2.gif

It isn't certified by GM but it does meet the dexos 1 specification. The OLM was at 44% when I changed the oil.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Amsoil doesn't meet the Dexos spec, hopefully the dealership doesn't give you any trouble. Is 7000 miles within oil life monitor range? Seems long for the engine.

7000 miles is fine for this engine. I run 7500 mile intervals in my Cruze's 1.4T.

Also, the OLM in the 2011-2013 Cruzes is optimistic by about 25%. GM changed that sometime in the later 2013's and for the 2014's. When mine reads 25% it's time to change the oil.

Let us know what is the matter with the engine once something breaks.

Last edited:
Is that the 1.4 or 1.8?

Quote:

Save your money switch to QSUD A nice quality oil

Probably not his top priority.

Last edited:
Whoa! Those are some crazy wear numbers. Have you noticed anything odd about the way the engine has been running/performing/sounding? Perhaps some sort of lab error...?

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Save your money switch to QSUD A nice quality oil
I don't think that would make any difference. If something is letting go, it will do it regardless what oil is being used.

bookmarked. this thread is useless without a dealership followup post, OP you are now obligated.
grin.gif

I'm going to get all the info I can together and then see the dealer. I'll do my best to keep updates as they come in. I have a friend that works at a Chevy dealership, he hasn't seen any issues where the engine had problems to be needing replaced but he is going to ask around on his network of friends to see if anything is out there. I'm going to resample at 2k miles and see what it shows.

Is the car/engine symptomatic? Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary aside from the UOA? If not, I doubt the dealership will give you much love. They will want a symptom that can be, "repeated".

im wondering if the WIX filter fell apart- and possibly clogged stuff.. leading to increase wear due to oil starvation?

Any noise?

I dont know if the Cruze was part of the bulletin that GM had on vehicles coming in with engine noise-- they were to check for aftermarket filters.

^It's a cartridge filter so (assuming the OP did it himself, which it sounds like the case) he would see any damage to the filter right away.

The filters came out looking just fine. No issues with the car. Runs great, no noises or any signs of a problem.

Anyone want to bet that the dealer discounts the UOA completely using a 100% bogus rationale?

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Anyone want to bet that the dealer discounts the UOA completely using a 100% bogus rationale?

It's not that they'll discount the UOA but they need a symptom to diagnose a problem. If the engine runs fine they're not going to just go tear down the block and start looking for a problem. No good mechanic will go in blindly looking for a problem. They'll need to trouble shoot first and find a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back