YZZF1, YZZF2, Napa Gold 1396

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car has the 1.8 1zzfe Toyota engine (Vibe).

The YZZF2 filter is the OEM filter.

A while back I had purchased the Wix/Napa Gold 1396 which is longer than the F1 and is intended for the Vibe GT/Matrix XRS.

Forgetting that I had in my possession this 1396 I went to Toyota and got the YZZF1, (intended for the Matrix XRS and I assume the Vibe GT as their engines are identical).

But having them lined up on the table, ducks in a row, it is obvious that the F1 filter is still *longer* than the 1396!
dunno.gif

Does that make sense?

Here's the OEM filter (YZZF2) vs. the Pure One OEM replacement (PL14476) and the larger Pure One for the Vibe GT/Matrix XRS & Corolla XRS (PL14477):

-

The smaller Pure One is slightly larger than the OEM filter. The larger Pure One is about an inch longer than the OEM.

quote:

Originally posted by Crack_Tan:
Here's the OEM filter (YZZF2) vs. the Pure One OEM replacement (PL14476) and the larger Pure One for the Vibe GT/Matrix XRS & Corolla XRS (PL14477):

The smaller Pure One is slightly larger than the OEM filter. The larger Pure One is about an inch longer than the OEM.

hi,

Make sure you cut open both sizes of the Pure ones and lets see if the elements are the same size like I've heard....

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
hi,

Make sure you cut open both sizes of the Pure ones and lets see if the elements are the same size like I've heard....

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Hey now...I didn't just spend fifteen minutes filling out rebate coupons to go and make garage sculptures.

wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Crack_Tan:

quote:

hi,

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Hey now...I didn't just spend fifteen minutes filling out rebate coupons to go and make garage sculptures.

wink.gif

Ok,

Cut them open AFTER you use them!
grin.gif

Cheers, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Hi,

here is a photo showing the size difference between the standard size for your engine and the F1 fitler.

-

I've now used all 3 filters with excellent results in my 2005 Corolla.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Yeah the 1396 doesn't look much bigger than the 1394. I use the 1396 on my base Vibes simply because they are cheaper than the 1394 for some reason, maybe sales volume.

How much does Toyota charge for the YZZF1? If the nearest dealer wasn't 100 miles away I'd probably be using those instead.

quote:

Hi,

here is a photo showing the size difference between the standard size for your engine and the F1 fitler.

Hi Bill,

As soon as I pick up an F2 filter I'll post the pics of F2, Napa Gold 1396 and F1 (from shortest to longest). I just thought that the Napa would have been the same length as the F2 as both are intended for the same larger engine.

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:

How much does Toyota charge for the YZZF1? If the nearest dealer wasn't 100 miles away I'd probably be using those instead.

Different dealers charge different amounts. My local dealer (Koons Toyota) charges $4.75 per, but they also throw in the crush-washer for the drain plug. Another local dealer (Hanover Toyota) seems to change their prices frequently...usually under $4.00, but they charge like $.97 for the crush-washer.

$4-5 is probably average, unless you buy in bulk w/discount.

Do you know if that OEM filter (YZZF2) is the same they put on the Highlander 4 cylinder? I ask because I have been using the M1 filter and its the same size as the Toyota OEM. If that Pure One (14477 - which is specified for the Highlander) is that much bigger I will switch to it. The problem with the Toyota filer is that it can only be so wide because it fits in a cubby in the oil pan. Longer is the only way to go.

Do you know if that OEM filter (YZZF2) is the same they put on the Highlander 4 cylinder? I ask because I have been using the M1 filter and its the same size as the Toyota OEM. If that Pure One (14477 - which is specified for the Highlander) is that much bigger I will switch to it. The problem with the Toyota filer is that it can only be so wide because it fits in a cubby in the oil pan. Longer is the only way to go.

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:
Hi Bill,

As soon as I pick up an F2 filter I'll post the pics of F2, Napa Gold 1396 and F1 (from shortest to longest). I just thought that the Napa would have been the same length as the F2 as both are intended for the same larger engine.

Here they are...from largest to smallest. Dumb picture as the 'name' on the far right filter is hidden; but it is the OEM F2 (1.8 litre 1zzfe).
 -

Well that is very interesting, especially noting that the 1396 has a short element anyway because of the bypass design.

I never lined my filters up size-wise like this. I'll have to check the YZZF1 against the YZZA1 and see if they are the same or not.

It kind of reaffirms my opinion that the Wix/NAPA Gold offers no advantage over the competition if the silicone ADBV and threaded-end-bypass are not a consideration. I'm thinkin' Wix is only good in winter on a typical Toyota app.

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:
Yeah the 1396 doesn't look much bigger than the 1394. I use the 1396 on my base Vibes simply because they are cheaper than the 1394 for some reason, maybe sales volume.

Olympic I have a recent receipt from my local Canadian Toyota dealer:

$6.99 + tax for either the F1 or F2.

quote:

It kind of reaffirms my opinion that the Wix/NAPA Gold offers no advantage over the competition if the silicone ADBV and threaded-end-bypass are not a consideration.

Why is the threaded-end-bypass valve not a consideration? Many prefer the bypass in the opening of the filter. According to this explanation from the SHO website:

Oil coming from the engine washes over the dirty side of the filter media when the bottom by pass valve is open. A top bypass oil filter (threaded-end-bypass) passes unfiltered oil to the engine but a bottom bypass filter washes dirt off the filter add it to the dirt load in the unfiltered oil and hits the bearings with a much greater amount of debris - at least in theory!

Read the information in the below link for more detail.

Bypass Valve Design

quote:

Why is the threaded-end-bypass valve not a consideration?

Note that I said "If" the silicone ADBV and threaded-end-bypass are not a consideration.

In winter, you are absolutely right. A threaded end bypass is superior for the reason you cited. In summer, I don't think it matters because unless you allow your filter to become hopelessly clogged, your bypass never should operate anyway.

And as far as the silicone ADBV is concerned, most Toyotas have the filter mounted hole side up so the importance of the ADBV is not as great as for engines with sideways mounted filters.

Point taken. I agree that the silicone ADBV doesn't matter much on most Toyotas ... my Camry's filter is mounted with the open end pointed up.

As far as the bypass I don't know for sure, I've read a lot of conflicting opinions on BITOG regarding how often filters go into bypass mode. Guess I prefer to play it safe and thus prefer the bypass at the front of the filter.

quote:

Originally posted by kanling:
Well that is very interesting,

Okay guys, given that I have all three filters, which one would you suggest I use for my next oil change in November (1zzfe engine; going to go from GC to a run of M1 0W-30...probly in until February)

I say go with the NAPA Gold now if this oil change will cover most of February. Use the nicer bypass valve in the coldest part of the year. (Toronto... brrrrr... cold!)

Take advantage of the larger filtering element in the Toyota (YZZF1) in the summer months when you'll probably be driving more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back