20-30 wt doesnt matter??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was in autozone this morning and the guy behind the counter told a kid my age

" 5w20 and 5w30 are the same in todays time, our oil is so good now it doesnt matter what you run "

i bout nearly spit my water through my nose when i heard that. but now i have to ask, is there something im missing with the end wt of 5 base oils or was this guy very misleading ?????

That's like saying that "all 5w-30 oils are the same". Well, if you look at the various mfg specs that they meet, I'd say they're not all the same.

Is the guy behind the counter willing to foot the repair bill if your engine warranty gets denied due to the use of non-spec oil?

The only truth in his statement is that modern oil is pretty good in general, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any differences between the various oil types and oil grades.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
why engine manufacturer ask for a 10 psi of oil per 1000 rpm is more the proper question!

That is for the SBC, every engine will have their own spec laid out by the manufacturer.

I once emailed a Local amsoil dealer about getting some 5w20.

This was his reply:

"No 5w20 in stock my man.

5w20 is a made up weight from ford. I always use 5w30

Sent from my iPhone"

No way am I using 5w30 in my new truck with a warranty.

Originally Posted By: mechjames
I once emailed a Local amsoil dealer about getting some 5w20.

This was his reply:

"No 5w20 in stock my man.

5w20 is a made up weight from ford. I always use 5w30

Sent from my iPhone"

No way am I using 5w30 in my new truck with a warranty.

That seems to be the attitude of most Amsoil "dealers".

Originally Posted By: mechjames
"5w20 is a made up weight from ford."
crackmeup2.gif

Welcome to 2001, again.

I've been told a lot that 5W30 nearly always becomes 5W20 in service...at least that's what a lot say on here.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
He's right if he means you can run a 5w30 in a 5w20 application.
He's terribly wrong the other way around in my opinion.

This^

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I've been told a lot that 5W30 nearly always becomes 5W20 in service...at least that's what a lot say on here.

I've only had it happen with one motor so far, 1.6L direct injected and turbocharged Nissan Juke. All others I've ever tested with UOA have stayed in grade in service of 5000 miles or less.

I often interchange Resource Conserving 5w20 and 5w30 grades all the time in 20 & 30 grade apps. Because in that realm, it's not even worth it for me to waste my time fussing or overlooking one to obtain the other- they're both light, low-HTHS oils; one not being much more durable than the other.

Now non-resource conserving ACEA/API C rated 5w30s are a different matter; we would then have clear distinctions between the two

Originally Posted By: walk23
Autozone counter help says it all.

my thoughts exact... i was grabbing master pack oil filters for the shop when i heard this... thankfully in my town orilley is a group of old school hotrodders and they can be really helpful. autozone here has guys who dont know what cfm means....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back