Axle rebuild tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Is that the Torsen that came in FX4 Level II Rangers? Nice setup.

Good luck with it. Diffs are one thing I avoid actually wrenching on. If my truck ever eats its 7.5 (highly unlikely), it will get a full disc brake 8.8 out of an '11 Ranger or an Explorer.

No. IIRC, that was a T2 torsen. This T2R is pretty much the same but is preloaded to increase the bias ratio. This specific one has a 4:1 bias. It's used in the Mustang FR500S.

Changed my mind again.
Another junkyard part.
This time its a axle out of a 2009 Grand Marquis with 70k.
09_axle.jpg

Was $540 OTD. I thought it was a little high, but, it is complete to the calipers, so I didnt say anything.
Since this axle already has 31-spline axle shafts (Panthers changed from 28 to 31 spline sometime during MY2005) I will not have to purchase the Moser axle shafts as I was going to do. This will also save me have to purchase and install ABS tone rings and wheel studs, as well.
In addition, I will have the original setup of the carrier and pinion shims which will serve as a good starting point when I set up the new stuff.
I also ordered a bunch of tools today. I still need to get the dial in/lb torque wrench and a dial indicator.
Also, I have plans for the calipers and brackets, but that will come later.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Is that the Torsen that came in FX4 Level II Rangers? Nice setup.

Good luck with it. Diffs are one thing I avoid actually wrenching on. If my truck ever eats its 7.5 (highly unlikely), it will get a full disc brake 8.8 out of an '11 Ranger or an Explorer.

No. IIRC, that was a T2 torsen. This T2R is pretty much the same but is preloaded to increase the bias ratio. This specific one has a 4:1 bias. It's used in the Mustang FR500S.

I just hope (for your sake) that Torsen made the cases of those 8.8 T2Rs stronger than the latter ones they used for the GM 7.5 10 bolt T2Rs.
frown.gif

Otherwise, it is an EXCELLENT diff functionally (one of the best one can buy for handling/road course use with that high bias), and would be in my axle right now (over the Eaton cf clutch pack posi) IF their current cases could/would hold up to 360 lb. ft. of torque at the wheels.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I just hope (for your sake) that Torsen made the cases of those 8.8 T2Rs stronger than the latter ones they used for the GM 7.5 10 bolt T2Rs.
frown.gif

Ya it is pretty strong. Maximum Motorsports in San Luis Obispo helped develop the 8.8 version of the T2R with Torsen and Ford Racing. They would not put their name on anything that was junk.

People are putting them in newer Mustangs with the 5.0L engine which puts out far more power than my reliable-but-anemic 4.6L SOHC. The output of the 5.0L is a goal of where I want to be power-wise eventually.

Im finally making progress.
carrier_bearing.jpg

I froze the carrier, and baked the bearing at 475F. It just dropped onto the carrier. I did the same with the ring gear, but I only needed it at 250F to drop on and give me enough time to rotate it and line up the bolt holes.

So, someone on my FB pointed out that was too hot for the bearing.
Initally when I came across this method I did some research, and found inductive bearing heaters for sale at places that sell industrial equipment. I found the high end of the temperature range on these was 450-480F.
When I went back and double checked, I found a Timken Industrial Bearing maintenance manual that specified using a max temperature of only 250F for heating.
So that bearing has been pulled and scrapped out.
Unfortunately, 250F provides only about half the expansion needed.
Unless possibly I did something exotic like dropped the carrier into dry ice.
Ill probably end up getting them pressed on.
Oh well. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back