Wright tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pros prefer non-quick-release ratchets because the chance of the socket falling off somewhere it shouldn't is significantly reduced.

That's probably one of the reasons why many ratchets aimed at pros don't have quick release.

It depends on the ratchet, if its a Craftsman syle button then yes there is definitely more of a chance but with a Hazet or Stahlwille the button is stiffer and shorter its not an issue.
The Hazet will hold the socket on tight and only let it go when you push the button.

Snap-On has a new ratchet and i might buy one to try, Snap-On are great ratchets but were off limits with their high chrome finish with no grip and no QR. Now it looks like a winner as long as the QR button is short enough.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...amp;dir=catalog

Originally Posted By: Trav
It depends on the ratchet, if its a Craftsman syle button then yes there is definitely more of a chance but with a Hazet or Stahlwille the button is stiffer and shorter its not an issue.
The Hazet will hold the socket on tight and only let it go when you push the button.

It's all well and good if you like them. I'm sure there still are tight-quarter scenarios where the buttons could be pushed when you don't want them to be. I'm not saying it's common, but it could happen.

I personally don't really care, as I have both QR and non-QR ratchets.

Buttons being pushed by accident are just one of the reasons some people give for not liking them on Garage Journal. Others include the mechanism making the ratchet thicker overall and concerns that the release mechanism weakens the drive of the ratchet. Whether you agree with those or not, well, that's up to everyone to decide for themselves.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Others include the mechanism making the ratchet thicker overall and concerns that the release mechanism weakens the drive of the ratchet. Whether you agree with those or not,

I don't agree at all. The numbers don't lie. Head Width 1 1/4, Head Depth 9/16 for both QR and non QR.
The teeth are giving up long before the square drive and on some of the ratchets the button is almost flush or the switching knob itself.

If the space is that tight then use a close quarter or micro head ratchet, if the socket is on the bolt and the space is so tight it can hit the button where is the socket going?
More than likely you get the whole shebang jammed in there.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...uk&tool=all

I don't agree at all. The numbers don't lie. Head Width 1 1/4, Head Depth 9/16 for both QR and non QR.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...uk&tool=all

Take a closer look at the pictures in your links.

The head measurements on those SO ratchets don't take into account the button. The picture clearly shows the release button sticks up from the head. So, the numbers do lie in that case. The quick release ratchet is thicker when you count the button.

FHR80.jpg

And I have seen instances where the drive on a ratchet sheared off before the gears failed. It's actually happened to me once. That ratchet didn't have a quick release, so I won't comment on the claims about the mechanism weakening the drive on the ratchet. But, I usually use the right tool for the job, so I've only broken one or two ratchets in my day.

Here's a thread where some people on GJ talk about ratchets shearing off the drive. It also includes a pic:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201058

IMG_6035.JPG

If you don't agree with the other claims, you're welcome to start a new thread on Garage Journal and argue with the people who make those claims. I'm just passing on what people who don't like quick release ratchets use as their arguments.

Many of them come from this thread, if you're interested in reading them:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100317

QR is a personal preference so it doesn't indicate anything about the tool quality.

Who breaks ratchets properly sized to the job? The one in the pic had a pipe attached. If I were planning on using a pipe I'd use my 3/4 inch drive tools.

I have been to the Garage Journal once or twice and wasn't that impressed. I wouldn't join never mind post there.
Hey use whatever you want and the guys over there recommend, me i will keep using my never broken or dropped a socket QR like i have for years and be happy.

I wonder how many of them even own Hazet or Stahlwille never mind broke the drive off one or bumped the button and lost a socket.
I haven't and i have been using them every day of my life for 20+ years and non QR 20+ more before that.
How are you bumping the button on this, its flush and below the selector. It is just as thin as the non QR. You cant get the socket off this without pushing that button and you have to want to push it.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Nuff said.
515aQacGGIL_SL1500_.jpg

I have been to the Garage Journal once or twice and wasn't that impressed. I wouldn't join never mind post there.
Hey use whatever you want and the guys over there recommend, me i will keep using my never broken or dropped a socket QR like i have for years and be happy.

I wonder how many of them even own Hazet or Stahlwille never mind broke the drive off one or bumped the button and lost a socket.

The pic of the ratchet sheared was just to show that your claim that the gears would fail first isn't always the case.

Obviously, not every ratchet has the negatives of some quick release ratchets, so in many cases, some of their complaints are valid. Like the Snap-on ratchets you linked to earlier, where the button protrudes out the top.

There are many long-time techs there and many people who like boutique euro brands brands. Lots of people there have Hazet and Stahlwille, as well as Wera, Wiha and all the other brands.

Generally, GJ is better than BITOG for tool and garage topics, just because there's more knowledgeable people in those areas. There are lots of people experienced with tools and DIY topics there. I also find it has a more fun vibe than BITOG, in some cases.

But, different strokes for different folks...

Obviously, not every ratchet has the negatives of some quick release ratchets, so in many cases, some of their complaints are valid. Like the Snap-on ratchets you linked to earlier, where the button protrudes out the top.

Like i said earlier..
Originally Posted By: trav

i don't own the Snap-on but i might give it a try, if i don't like it on ebay it goes. I don't belong to automotive or tool forums BITOG is about it, i live this stuff so i don't need it as a hobby but lubrication is fascinating.
I belong to Swiss and German watch forums as well as a forum on Parrots and Falconry which is much more interesting to me.

Like i said earlier..
Originally Posted By: trav

Like I said earlier...

It's all well and good if you like them. I'm sure there still are tight-quarter scenarios where the buttons could be pushed when you don't want them to be. I'm not saying it's common, but it could happen.

We can just keep going in circles if you want and quoting the posts we already made.

Just kidding. I've wasted enough time on this. Enjoy your ratchet that you clearly love. But that still won't convince other pros who prefer non-quick-release ratchets.

I'll keep using my mix of QR and non QR ratchets. In fact, I think I'll head to the garage right now with a beer. My mom is visiting and it sounds like a belt pulley on her Jeep is starting to fail.
cheers3.gif

To the OP-
Post some pics when they arrive.

I think I'll head to the garage right now with a beer. My mom is visiting and it sounds like a belt pulley on her Jeep is starting to fail.

Yep i have to go back in there myself, i need to finish prepping a tailgate for paint tomorrow.
Everybody grab your favorite ratchet and get back to work. LOL
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
I ordered the 14 piece 6 pt 1/2" Wright socket set on Amazon. Be at my place on Wed.

Nice quality tools, post a review of them if you would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back