overfilled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only problem that might occur is when the crank starts hitting the oil as its overfilled. As in above the windage tray. Of course you can't see this directly, so you look for foam bubbles on the dipstick to see if the crank is churning oil. No churning, no bubbles, fine.

I think the father in law don't like you and is using this against you.
No, what you did will not harm that engine. I think it's time to get some rubber boots on because "it's" getting high over there.

I have to disagree here.

The dipstick has a low and high line for a reason.

How do you know what the threshhold for damage is in any parricular engine? I mean, an extra cup, probably will be ok. 1/2 quart? Who knows.

This is why i cant stand the quick lube oil McChanges. Do it yourself!

My engines’ ‘full’ sump oil levels per the dipstick are well below the furthest reaches of the crankshaft when they’re off.

Now envision a quart or two circulating in the pump, galleys, cooler, upstairs, whipped up in naturally-occurring windage and then finally draining back.

That level in likely not particularly close to the reciprocating assembly.

I had a Detroit diesel in my fire engine overfilled by more than 5 gallons (IIRC it held about 7 gallons) by our shop after an oil change. I discovered it a few days later when I checked the oil. No damage, they just drained out 5+ gallons and away we went. Other than the dip stick, no other signs.

I always overfill by 1/2 quart. No issues. 4.5 quarts quoted capacity, in goes the entire jug of 5.1 quarts. Oversized filter of course but I'm still over the full mark some.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I always overfill by 1/2 quart. No issues. 4.5 quarts quoted capacity, in goes the entire jug of 5.1 quarts. Oversized filter of course but I'm still over the full mark some.

that you are aware of.

It certainly is going to be different on a case by case basis but I do believe most specs listed by the manufacturer will have some leeway built in so that you can easily run a 1/2 quart over without the crank sloshing through the oil. I do know that with my old 98 Corvette I could safely run one full quart over the listed capacity. I did that for 9 years and had 133,000 miles on the car when I traded it for my 05 Corvette. Considering the fact that the LS2 is very similar in design to the LS1, I could probably run one full quart over in my 05 if I wanted to, but I decided to stick with the exact capacity this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back