ethanol - bacteria - corrosion article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, people use ethanol as snake conservant ...
smile.gif
also as the best substance for cleaning purpose, house and hospitals included ...

Oups!some people are catching me ?i wonder how many thread i said ethanol and bio diesel were too harsh on everything.at least now we know the scientific name for it

Originally Posted By: Rosetta
There's so too many fairy tales about ethanol.

OK, if ethanol, according to the industry is completely biodegradable, in days versus petroleum, then it is obviously food for bugs of some description or other.

How does that make the article a "fairy tale" ?

Easy, or it stays clean and clear or it evaporates! Don't need to wait bacteria eaten it up ... Completely biodegradable accordingly to what industry, liquor?

Easy, or it stays clean and clear or it evaporates! Don't need to wait bacteria eaten it up ... Completely biodegradable accordingly to what industry, liquor?

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/pages/ethanol-facts-environment

Quote:
FACT: Ethanol is rapidly biodegraded in surface water, groundwater and soil, and is the safest component in gasoline today.

A study conducted for the Governors' Ethanol Coalition, "The Fate and Transport of Ethanol-Blended Gasoline in the Environment," concluded that ethanol poses no threat to surface water and ground water. According to the report, ethanol is a naturally occurring substance produced during the fermentation of organic matter and is expected to rapidly biodegrade in essentially all environments. When gasoline contaminates soil or water, ethanol is the first component to quickly, safely, and naturally biodegrade.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/emerg...sponse-7-11.pdf

Quote:
In general, ethanol in the environment degrades rapidly. Biodegradation is rapid in soil, groundwater and surface water, with predicted half lives ranging from 0.1 to 10 days.

Yes, bugs eat it...not neat, not in vats full of whiskey, but in dilute form...like in wet underground tanks.

The problem isn't the ethanol. It's the water content that's biodegradation media ...

OK...and the original article was about WHAT exactly ?

before your little ramble into obfuscation, snake preservatives, distillation of distallates ?

ethanol vapours in tanks, and acetobactiera eating it...creating acid, like they have been doing for a million years.

It's not people picking on your liquor of choice...it's nature...not a "fairy tale"..science

And if underground tanks breathe (they have to, so does your fuel tank), air holds moisture.

There's so too many fairy tales about ethanol.

Indeed. Totally agreed.

I suspect we would not agree on their sources, though...

I know bio part get filtered in my big rig,easy to check .just use transparent container.it fill scary fast !once fuel filter is full of bio.where does it go?in engine via bypass.thats one fuel fill .i suspect same happen in car.

All that I know is that fuel is made to be used reasonably soon after production, not stored in tanks for months or even years. Car has a system with canister, not an opened system so the ethanol there won't get vaporized and transformed to water in the mean time as the article concludes. Diesel and kerosene makes more bacteria then ethanol, for sure. So it needs filtration of bio, special sealants and cleaning (with ethanol) from time to time.

Ah FYI the ethanol added to US gasoline is the Anhydred version, so there is no water to dilute it and feed those pesky corrosive evil steel eater bugs...

Last edited:
Yep, obviously you are all over it, and scientists and acetobacteria just need to change their understanding.

Who? Where did you found a scientist name on it? Nobody signed down because that's just negative propaganda, not science. Travesti of science, and, you bought it.

So we got tanks with ethanol here for decades and the issue is very rare. And what COULD happen, doesn't happen so often as a negative propaganda will spread out. Or FAIRY TALES

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
big rig manufacturer in 2006 were telling us to keep fuel tank full to prevent condensation

THAT'S THE IDEA!
And the same applies to gasoline, diesel, kerosene ... So why talk about ethanol alone?
Sincerely.

So we got tanks with ethanol here for decades and the issue is very rare. And what COULD happen, doesn't happen so often as a negative propaganda will spread out. Or FAIRY TALES

Google "underground tank corrosion Brazil"...apparently your Government seems to think it's a real, and happening thing. Everyone who has an underground tank has to have a monitoring and inspection programme, have their tanks registered, and take liability...I doubt that you've held any responsibility for underground tanks, I have.

It, and the thread aren't stating that it's ONLY ethanol, it's DIFFERENT with ethanol. Petroleum bugs in low sulfur fuels don't make acid...acetobacteria, the ones that turn fermented liquids into acetic acid (vinegar, which I'm sure you believe in, and may have seen some with your own eyes, and maybe even touched it).

Tanks designed with this as a risk from first principals will have linings, or be made from plastic, not be 30 year old steel tanks filled recently with ethanol.

Keeping tanks full,and not breathing is great...however, you can't have a tanker/umbilical sitting there on the forecourt keeping the tank full 24/7, so the tank has to breathe, draw down, and make space for the next refill...drawing in air, which unless Brazil is in Arizona probably contains moisture...Arizona doesn't have "rainforests", so I'm assuming that humidity in Brazil isn't a fairy tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back