How did i just notice this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 99 Ranger has a fold out ashtray and a lighter in the dash. I am a smoker and the ashtray is so low I don't even use it. I use a butt bucket in a cup holder.

I never noticed them fading out. However, that explains to me why replacing my broken cig lighter (quoted $28) for an OEM 12V power outlet ($16) was much cheaper.

My 2004 vw Jetta has an ashtray, only ever used for change and trash. I think my 2011 Camry does not have one. But my 2010 Tundra has an ashtray, I thought it funny that it has one. But not in the back seat... In the truck I found it to be a good spot to put my electric brake controller and SGII.

I like having multiple cig lighter jacks, for all the things that might go into a vehicle, but honestly that connector is ancient and I wouldn't mind seeing something newer. Or none, just give some posts on a 20A circuit, and I'll wire up whatever I need.

My dad's 1980 Fairmont and Mom's 81 Dodge 024 had no lighter nor power ports.

Judging by airports where they have USB 5V built into the power outlets, people will still use "wall warts" as part of their device charging scheme even when the alternative is right in front of them.

In the rear of the Jag there are two below the rear Climate controls.

In the front there is one.

It is hidden under the armrest beside the 2 USB Sockets.

If you request an ashtray it is in the little cubby in front of the armrest and also contains a lighter+socket.

I have had to add one of those adapters with two sockets and a USB to avoid having cables dragging all over as i always have my main phone on the right of the wheel.

Heres mine:
04 escape 1 lighter, 1 powerport no ashtray

04 malibu 2 powerports, no ashtray

12 regal one usb port, one bluetooth plug, one never used lighter and ashtray behind a popup door on the lower dash

My infinitis both came with lighters and ashtrays, both relegated to be power ports and change holders. I never rally thought about it. I don't think my wife's BMW has a lighter , but I really don't know.

Originally Posted By: Poohbah
Yep, 1995. I bought a brand new Neon that highlighted this change.

Eh... I had a 1999 Neon R/T that most assuredly did have a lighter plug and ash tray.

My '12 F 150 in my sig has a cigarette lighter and the ashtray is a cup like container that sits in a cup holder at the bottom of the center seat. Last I checked, there was close to 20 dollars in change in that thing! The actual lighter is in my tool box and I use the port for a cell charger.

My wife's '12 Musatng doesn't have a cigarette lighter or ashtray.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Most newer cars I've seen no longer have a cigarette lighter or ash tray.

I forgot to mention that I've found it funny that my Acura not only has a cigarette lighter in the front and a fairly large ash tray in the front, but it also has an ash tray in the back.

It really depends on the year of the car as well as where it was made. From all the cars I would work on, it would seem American cars were the first to eliminate ashtrays, then European cars, and finally Japanese cars. It looks like automakers decide to eliminate ashtrays based on when large amounts of their fellow countrymen quit smoking.

I was stunned to find no ashtray in my 2010 Lancer when I got it, but since I never smoked, it never bothered me.

The '11 Accord in my sig has a power port in the typical position (plus one in the center console), but no lighter or ash tray. The compartment where the ash tray would reside has, "Not an ash tray" stamped on it.

The '05 xB has a lighter and an ash tray.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My 2000 Cherokee has a cigarette lighter. It also has more ash trays than cup holders ...

Ah, the good ole days, when people sucked down cancer sticks instead of big gulps...

Well, 2000 is a bit late, but the sentiment holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back