CAR BATTERY RECOMMENDATION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please offer a battery recommendation for my daughter's car. I'm sending her off to college and I'm trying desperately to reduce the chances of her having any car problems, the battery being one. I can't have my baby stranded with a bum battery.

Sign up for Advanced Auto emails. They email coupons all the time. I saved $40 on a battery for my daughter's car and my truck. Their gold battery is good.

I'm using a few Kirkland batteries from Costco, they've been going strong and have never given me any issues. One of them is in a vehicle that rarely gets started or driven, and the battery has never given me a problem.

Any of the batteries made by Johnson Control with the octagon shaped dual vent caps are about the same. Costco, Motorcraft, Autozone, Advance Auto, Walmart and many others use JCI, but check to make sure it has the vent caps.

O'reilly has Deka batteries which are good, branded Superstart.

My money is almost always with advance auto when i can use the 40 or 50 off coupon codes.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/40-dollars-off-100-dollars-trt41-112212

The autocraft silver is more than enough, the gold is what i get though.

My autozone battery is fantastic. Battery has drained a few times from leaving things on but a quick charge and its good to go. The battery is in my truck which i have not driven for at least a week which is normal but it never fails to start. I have had the battery for a few years and ot still reads a solid 12.4 volts with a volt meter. Also i have gone offroading with it over some very rough terrain so i know the battery has taken quite the abuse. None of the plates have loosened and not a single leak of fluid.

Originally Posted By: Tones
Sign up for Advanced Auto emails. They email coupons all the time. I saved $40 on a battery for my daughter's car and my truck. Their gold battery is good.

This. Nothing wrong with their silver either.

what's the year/make/model?

As long as your Daughter drives the car at least 10 miles once or twice a week, the battery should stay in ok shape.
Otherwise if it's gonna just sit and do nothing, the battery will sulfate and it will deteriorate the battery life.

You could get her a portable battery jumper unit. she just leaves it in the trunk, and just plugs it in once a month to keep it ready.

Could get a solar battery charger that backfeeds through the cigarette lighter. Outlets for a charger are few and far between, especially in "freshman parking" which is three blocks past Purgatory.

Some college kids get a good parking space on Labor Day and don't leave it until Thanksgiving. Others are out cruising every night. You can't really tell how your kid'll be, either.

Autozone has excellent customer service when it comes to batteries. My wife's Saab uses up batteries, and they always give us a very pro-rating when I trade it in every two and a half years.

The non profit Consumers Reports recommends the Wal-Mart Evermaxx batteries in the southern version of the group sizes they tested. Southern batteries are built different than north versions. Truth be told, there are only a few battery manufactures in the USA and the manufactures don't make them better for one retailer over another.

From all the batteries I've seen, for cost autocraft silver and gold stand up the longest next to optima (more $) currently have motorcraft in the ford. Why not. It's got a good warranty. Interstate batteries are good. But the trend here, JCI batteries are a good bet.

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
If money is no object use an optima yellow top. It's a deep cycle starting battery. Mine has lasted 10+ years.

If only they made them the way they used to 10 years ago. Optima has since gone cheaper, and aren't worth the price since they last about the same as a good Deka/JCI battery.

Thanks for the replies.

morris: I already have AAA. Recently, though, a neighbor phoned AAA for a Sunday afternoon car break down. The AAA service center told them "too bad, too sad, we're closed on Sunday." That made me rethink the wisdom of buying and renewing a AAA membership.

As long as your daughter is not planning on doing medical school or directly go to graduate school, any new battery you purchase today should last four years :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back