Oil filter thread pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a recent thread here(http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002987), people were talking about using the same oil filter on both a Toyota and a Honda (Corolla and Civic).

These cars have different thread types specified. The Toyota uses UNF-2B 3/4-16 and the Civic uses M20x1.5.

Are these threads similar enough to do this? This would be great if they were, I wouldn't have to buy seperate oil filters for my Ford and Hyundai. I would use the Motorcraft 400 filter for each. The Hyundai has the metric thread while the Ford has the UNF thread.

Same/Different?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Anyone who does this, IMHO, is asking for filter failure. As close as the thread pitches might seem, they are not interchangeable. IIRC, back in the early 80s AMC issued a TSB about this very same situation. Seems there are two different filter mounts that Renault
rolleyes.gif
supplied on these engines, one was standard, the other metric. When the incorrect filter is used, they would back off causing you to lose your oil and possibly frying the engine.

In other words: DON'T DO IT!

They are enough different, a full mm, I am surprised anybody tries it. In some cases, you can remove the stud the filter screws on to and replace it with the other size. Don't let anyone else ever change the oil if you do.

About a year and a half ago, I found a slick Mopar part that has M20x1.5 threads on one end and 3/4x16 on the other. It also has a little (about an inch) 'appendix' that I had to cut off, but I've been using it on my Subaru ever since. Probably the only Sube in the world w/ a 'Ford' filter on it
smile.gif
I describe the part here with a picture after I cut off the 'appendix'

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001434#000000

Dave

If you buy an UltraFilter you can change the threaded insert in the base of the filter housing. There is a chance that your filter can be sued on your new car by swapping parts. The company will send you a new insert for free. The same base can be swapped between some Hondas and Nissans with an insert change. There are a lot of other situations that require only an insert change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back