Engine Longevity - Dino vs Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is all speculations. There is no proof nor data to back up any claim. Even 10% improvements seems a stretch. Majority of early engine failures, slug etc. are inherited in design and whatever oil used makes no difference. Even 2% better mpg is questionable. Just change oil before it starts to decline like 10% before due.
Engine cleaning is mostly done by add pack not the base oil and they all seem to be nearly the same. It is all micro differences that one should be talking about and that should not make a difference such as 100k vs. 300k as some indicated.

How long an engine will last perhaps should be done under identical controlled conditions for SYN and DINO probably in a LAB similar to the Mobil 1 million mile test years ago.

Too many variables. Probable questions asked should be "how long do you want an engine to last ?" may decide the answer, other than ignorance in engine maintenance if one is not following OEM recommendations, question should be "what are you doing about it."

Not just a narrow minded focus on oil base quality.

Speculation gathering rather than facts here.

This post was difficult for me to write as it could be answered in so many ways, differing points of view and oil quality being a only small part of the total process.

Last edited:
Here is a thread I posted on my Suburban that has had Mobil 1 all its life. As far as wear it would go 6000mi on a qt when new, at 296,000mi it goes 4000mi on a qt. The reason I pulled the heads is because I put ported Z28 heads on it. This doesn't really answer the dino vs synthetic question but it gives you some synthetic oil usage info.
hope this helps.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3281374/1

When synthetic motor oil starts functionally giving more engine life most all fleet users will use it. Motor oil choices are still mainly emotionally driven by marketing departments in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back