Long drain oil filters without ADBV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in running an extended OCI capable oil filter for multiple OCIs on the Burb (currently doing 4-5k OCI w/ G-Oil) for both the economics of it and to take advantage of the performance specs of those filters. However, I would like to be able to drain the filter to get as much of the old oil out. I admit that is probably a bit OCD, but isn't that why BITOG is around? The filter on the Burb is mounted vertically with the base facing up, so an ADBV is unnecessary in this application. However, the FU, D+, and PS all have ADBV.

So, are there any extended drain oil filters without ADBV? Particularly any for a 2002 Chevy Suburban 5.3L V8?

First I'd say that your assumption that because the filter sits in a vertical thread end up orientation it doesn't require a adbv, is inaccurate. As much as holding oil in the filter an adbv also allows oil to be retained in the galleries above the filter, reducing dry start/start up rattle. If the vehicle manufacturer specs's an adbv they do so for a reason and using a filter without one would not be advisable.

Second, the small amount of oil retained in filter, perhaps ~4-5oz. is not going to make any significant difference in engine wear/life over getting every last drop of oil out of the filter. And most on this board will advise you that best practice when reusing a filter is to leave the filter in place as the sealing gasket could be compromised with removal.

If you can't live with the small amount oil left in the filter then perhaps using a lower tier filter for the 4-5k oci would be more advisable and just as cost effective. But that's your call.

But to answer the question, I know of no filter with no adbv that fits this application.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
The filter on the Burb is mounted vertically with the base facing up, so an ADBV is unnecessary in this application. However, the FU, D+, and PS all have ADBV.

So, are there any extended drain oil filters without ADBV? Particularly any for a 2002 Chevy Suburban 5.3L V8?

It's not like the filter is made specifically for your car.

It also fits a hundred other motors.

Why do you feel like the ADBV is bad ?

I don't know how much truth there is to it or not, but I was always told that once you loosen your filter, it needs to be removed. That the gasket seal is compromised and wont form as tight a seal again.

I've always followed that, but I also have never had any reason to loosen a filter unless I was removing it.

Hot oil can still drain out of a vertically mounted filter that's above the sump (siphon action)-think of the ADBV as an insurance policy, especially a silicone one-you'll get oil pressure a lot faster on a cold start.

At one time, ACDelco PF61 had no ADBV. However, that is now an E-core filter, and NAPA cross references it to their 1522 which does have the ADBV. Your truck probably specs the discontinued PF59 that also crosses to 1522.

I'm with those who say there's no reason to omit the valve. My guess is that it would cause startup noise. Pick your filter for its long-drain capacity and sleep well. I have even run ACDelco classic filters up to 7 and 8,000 with no problems.

Not a good idea, if your engine specs an ADBV then you need one. Oil will drain out of the galleries without one. No need to drain the filter, its such a small amount of oil and the o ring can lose its seal.

^^^ Wix for the LS1/LS6 does have the ADBV, and the filter mounts in the same place as any old small block from GM. Perfectly vertical on driver's side, rear of engine with base plate up.

Yep, I checked both Wix filters to compare.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Horizontally mounted oil filter can skip adbv if they use 0w20 ,all other require adbv .sorry

- what??

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Horizontally mounted oil filter can skip adbv if they use 0w20 ,all other require adbv .sorry

Another pearl of wisdom, folks...be sure to write these down and keep them in a safe place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back