Airventure 2014 Oshkosh WI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Given the continuing attacks by various media and politicians on PP-ASEL holders flying certified GA piston singles, and just GA in general, the EAA is doomed. Just wait until the GA haters in the media find out that there are folks flying around a/c on only their driver license because they can't pass a 3rd class medical, and those a/c may have been amatuer built. I can see USA Today wetting their pants already.

I agree, I do think GA and the EAA are eventually doomed. The kitplane world was quite robust for many years. But, it's demographic has aged. The number of kitplane manufacturers has dwindled, as have the number of completed projects.

For a while, the homebuilt/kitplane world took over where the manufacturers failed (by pricing themselves out of the market) . However, I believe men today don't want to build aircraft. It seems they'd rather play on the computer or iPhone, and hang around the shopping mall. We just don't breed them like we used to.

At Sun N Fun, in Lakeland, the "homebuilt" parking area is no longer full of interesting aircraft. In fact, it's considerably smaller than in years past. Nor are there many "kitplane" manufacturers showing up anymore. It's turned into a big airshow, with commercial and military equipment.

Cujet,

I've been wanting to see the QF-4 Phantom drone for quite some time.
Was it at Sun N Fun this year performing ?

Many folks don't have the $$$$ to own a small private airplane, or to get a private pilot license.

I know an electrician that stopped flying on the weekends due to the costs.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Cujet,

I've been wanting to see the QF-4 Phantom drone for quite some time.
Was it at Sun N Fun this year performing ?

Many folks don't have the $$$$ to own a small private airplane, or to get a private pilot license.

I know an electrician that stopped flying on the weekends due to the costs.

I did not see an F-4 drone at SNF.

I understand the costs of flying are absurd. The thing is, it has not always been so. In the 1950's, 60's and 70's, ownership/operation of a new light aircraft was within the realm of those with slightly above average household income. (about 1.5x)

Today, you must have about 7x to 10x the average household income to purchase a new, certified, 4 place aircraft.

Here's something that should appeal to the new demographic. According to one kit manufacturer's info page on their Factory Assistance option it looks like.... the way I read it.... that if you buy factory build assist then you build your plane in their hangar using their tools and jigs etc., as well as receiving advice and training from the staff. Three weeks later it's ready to fly and ready for the FSDO to come inspect it for the air worthiness certificate. But you do pony up a decent amount of dough for the factory assist. $4K/week, 3 weeks max, airplane finished at end of week three. How that stays within the 51% rule for experimentals I do not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back