2004 gmc 2500hd oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out where it's coming from. It appears to be on the passenger side of the engine. The highest point I see oil is on the transmission cooler lines. It seems to run down those and then the wind blows it on the chassis and exhaust pipe. The passenger side of the oil pan is coated in oil too. Slow leak and only leaks when it's running and then slow drips for a while after it's shut down due to the oil that's already leaked out. Ideas? Doesn't seem to affect the dipstick level.

Check the lines that run from the transmission to the radiator and aux transmission cooler. The crimp from the hard line to the rubber lines are known to leak atf after awhile.

Or you could have an injectior issue. If you have the diesel engine. What is your engine/transmission combo.

6.0 gas with 4 speed and 4.10. I just checked tranny dipstick and the fluid is red and correct level. Must be oil

I had a 1500 with the 5.3.. basically the same engine just bigger pistons. Have you done/had an oil change recently? The oil fill cap is on that side of the engine on the valve cover. Or it could be the valve cover it's self leaking, though i doubt it.

I did have a jeep that would sling oil all over the right front of the vehicle. It turned out to be a worn main seal. Check that and the pcv valve. The breather hose also runs form the right valve cover to the throttle body. It wouldn't hurt to check that out while your in the same area.

It could also be the right front axle seal.

I've fixed a bunch of the rubber hoses on those trucks. The crimp ferrule on them doesn't provide enough force to keep a good seal from the hoses heating and cooling a bunch of times.

Check the skid plate under the oil pan. On both of my silverodo's when the last of the oil comes out of the pan the oil has a huge tendency to run down the pan and pool on the skid plate.
I found that out when i had a puddle of oil on my drive way. It happened when i was getting the new oil filter ready to put on while the old oil was draining.

I do have that situation with oil on the skid plate. But how could that account for oil also being above the pan on the passenger side? Could wind be blowing it up? Seems possible

With the amount of air that flows under a vehicle anything is possible. Just look at what a tornado does.

If your not loosing atf,engine oil and front diff oil then I would say you've found your issue.

Good point. I'm going to pull skid plate today and change out both diff sand transfer case. I will clean plate and reinstall and monitor. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back