Not sure about my labtop....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a used sony vio labtop (about 6 years old) from a friend of mine a few years back. It's worked fine with no issues, though I have to buy it a new battery for it (it's completely dead, unplug it and it turns right off!) but within the last few nights, it picked up an issue...

Right now, I can't get it past the windows(corp) load screen. It just keeps going and going....

I get a bad feeling...thought it might have something to do with the battery being dead, but wondering if it could be the hard drive or something else...

Quote:
labtop
A word that inexperienced college freshmen (most often girls) call their new laptops.
College Freshman: I just got my new labtop, it's awesome!
Experienced Geek: Laptop.
College Freshman: Yeah, that's what I said! Labtop!

as mentioned the easiest way to see if its a hardware problem is to boot linux from a flash drive or dvd.

This will narrow it down to
either A or B

A)windows problem
B)HDD problem

Which can be narrowed down farther with more diagnostics/utils.

Last edited:
Well, finally got it into safe mode....then tried a system restore. Looks like I did not go back far enough....

It froze up....

This thing might have life yet...

might as well upgrade to window 7, Vista wasn't really much of an upgrade and had some inherent issues that got fixed in 7. If you don't really need all the Windows stuff and mostly use the thing for internet and email you can get a Linux distro.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
might as well upgrade to window 7, Vista wasn't really much of an upgrade and had some inherent issues that got fixed in 7. If you don't really need all the Windows stuff and mostly use the thing for internet and email you can get a Linux distro.

Might have to, since I don't have the backup disk for this bad boy...

if you mainly use it for web browsing or typing papers

linux can do all that out of the box in a fairly windows like environment (little learning curve)

I have a couple mint boxes I keep around.. as backups or loaners.

Originally Posted By: Rand
if you mainly use it for web browsing or typing papers

linux can do all that out of the box in a fairly windows like environment (little learning curve)

I have a couple mint boxes I keep around.. as backups or loaners.

Might not be a bad idea....

Question: Still looks like it is a windows issue.

Was told that any vista disc would do to preform a rescue.

True or False?

Might be able to do a rescue with any disc, but not sure how the activation will work on that. Probably will be fine though. How do you know it's a Windows issue though? If I were you I would boot up a live Linux Disc and see how that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back