Husqvarna saw doesnt like storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Make your own E0 out of E10 by doping it with water. The alcohol and water will mix and separate to the bottom. Then siphon off the pure gas.

SeemsLegit.png

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Make your own E0 out of E10 by doping it with water. The alcohol and water will mix and separate to the bottom. Then siphon off the pure gas.

Try it, you might like it.

I'm going to take 500ml of E10 gas, add 500 ml of water then see how they separate. If it is E10 I should end up with somewhere around 600 ml of water/ethanol and 400 ml of gas.

Try it, you might like it.

I'm going to take 500ml of E10 gas, add 500 ml of water then see how they separate. If it is E10 I should end up with somewhere around 600 ml of water/ethanol and 400 ml of gas.

You know that really dumb kid in the neighborhood that screws everything up? The kid that runs SAE60 "racing" oil in his Honda because thicker is better? The kid that cuts his catalytic converter off and adds a [censored] can, because its cool? The kid that puts a 4 foot tall spoiler on the back of his car? That's the kid that adds water to his fuel and shakes it up to "remove the ethanol". Just saying.

Betcha a quart of stabil it works.......

Though the outcome should be 450ml gas 550ml water.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist
Gasoline contains alkylamine and alkyl phosphate detergents. As a chemist, I can tell you that those detergents are going to emulsify some of the water by forming reverse micelles. Essentially, some of the water is going to "dissolve" into the gasoline and probably nothing short of distillation would remove it.

For further reading: http://www.whatischemistry.unina.it/en/micella.html

More than likely that has already happened though wouldn't you think? I would think that the ethanol is not 100% and contains some water. Or has picked up a miniscule amount of water from the tanks.

Ethanol picks up 5% water unless it has been azeotroped. So you would be looking at 5% of 10%, or 0.5% overall. By directly exposing the gasoline to water, you would increase the overall water content by several times that amount.

Ok here's what I did. I have a 1000mL graduated cylinder that is marked every 10mL I have a gram scale and hydrometers, one .700 to .800 and another .900 to 1.000 both are 60/60 temperature rated. My thermometer is one degree graduations.

I used demineralized water at 68F and measured 1.000. Temperature correction is +.007 so I'll forgo them for this experiment.

E10 Gasoline SG was 0.730 at 68F, 500mL of it weighed 362
grams.

Water was 68F and 500 mL weighs 500 grams.

So after pouring in 500 mL of E10 and adding 500 mL of H2O I ended up with around the 550 H2O and 450 gas.

This kind of hard to see but if you look to the left side of the cylinder at the 550 mark you can see the line.

final-mix-550-h2o-450-gas.jpg

Here's another shot, the angle isn't the same and it's a different camera.

h2o-445ml-gas-555ml.jpg

Sure glad I just buy VPracing SEF and have the best fuel you can get for my OPE.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Sure glad I just buy VPracing SEF and have the best fuel you can get for my OPE.

$25 a gallon???????

Originally Posted By: dave123

$25 a gallon???????

No I just paid $62.00 for a 5gallon pail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back