Receipts and warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Member, Tommygunn has posted an interesting thread (link below) where M1 has omitted or doesn't show compliance with certain ACEA requirements on their 5qt jugs sold at WMart. This is interesting because these same viscosity have shown the said approvals before.

My question/moment of clarity is this, if the receipt you have only says 'Mobil 1 5w30' /' motor oil 5w30' / '5w30' or 'M1 5w30' as has been the case with my receipts from WMart, it would be very difficult to deny a claim if you show the recommended viscosity has been used because oil companies change formulation, packaging, and certification vocabulary (meets, exceeds, approved etc) often.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3444271/Mobil_1_is_slipping,_ACEA_down#Post3444271

I have 2 litres of Castrol Edge 10W60 that is new and still in the gold bottle it came in. I bought it new 4 years ago, and I'm wondering if it's still ok to use.

Don't see why not. Altho I would dilute it down with some fresh oil. Guess it really depends on how much oil you hold. It wouldn't really concern me tho.

Typically I think its 2-3 or 3-4 years.

Originally Posted By: wemay
if the receipt you have only says 'Mobil 1 5w30' /' motor oil 5w30' / '5w30' or 'M1 5w30' as has been the case with my receipts from WMart, it would be very difficult to deny a claim if you show the recommended viscosity has been used because oil companies change formulation, packaging, and certification vocabulary (meets, exceeds, approved etc) often.

Weren't you the person who was advocating the use of a HM oil that didn't meet all the specs for your car?

And now you're super concerned about having all your documentation prepared for an oil related engine failure within the warranty period.

I think you'll be fine.

I think you would be ok. I wonder how many warranty claims are of a direct result of the oil in the vehicle's sump?

Originally Posted By: Sterge
I have 2 litres of Castrol Edge 10W60 that is new and still in the gold bottle it came in. I bought it new 4 years ago, and I'm wondering if it's still ok to use.

Oil manufacturers claim the shelf life is 5 years. Additives probably deteriorate after that?

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
if the receipt you have only says 'Mobil 1 5w30' /' motor oil 5w30' / '5w30' or 'M1 5w30' as has been the case with my receipts from WMart, it would be very difficult to deny a claim if you show the recommended viscosity has been used because oil companies change formulation, packaging, and certification vocabulary (meets, exceeds, approved etc) often.

Weren't you the person who was advocating the use of a HM oil that didn't meet all the specs for your car?

And now you're super concerned about having all your documentation prepared for an oil related engine failure within the warranty period.

I think you'll be fine.

Your questioning is somewhat misguided . One thread concerned me personally and my choice, this one is a general observation. Making a point about what's on a receipt as it pertains to specs on a jug of oil. One thread has very little to do with the other. Yes, i am using HM oil and VML meets every spec of each vehicle. But i can see where it could get confusing.

Originally Posted By: ronbo

Oil manufacturers claim the shelf life is 5 years. Additives probably deteriorate after that?

Negative.

Most don't even give a shelf life, because there really isn't one. The concept is hard for people to grasp, so they've just arbitrarily said 5 years.

I have owned a lot of vehicles since my first in 1972, both personally and commercially, and I have never worried about receipts regarding oil, filters, etc. I have had warranty claims on stuff and no one has ever asked or cared about the receipts, or even asked what I was using for oil. From my last personal vehicle claim on a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel, to the $30,000 Cummins engine in my last commercial truck. Now I will keep records on maintenance stuff, but individual receipts on oil and filters, hardly. Seems like paranoia taking hold.

It's fine, four years is like the minimum shelf life I've heard, usually it's five years at least. People have used oil 10, 20, even 30 years old here with no discernible problems...

Originally Posted By: ronbo

There's a thread around here where someone at Blackstone or PQIA did VOA's on oils from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's and found the additives typical of each generation of oil still in suspension...

Originally Posted By: klt1986
I think you would be ok. I wonder how many warranty claims are of a direct result of the oil in the vehicle's sump?

Most oil related denied warranty claims are due to a lack of oil in the sump.

Originally Posted By: BrianC
Originally Posted By: klt1986

Most oil related denied warranty claims are due to a lack of oil in the sump.

That would be my guess as well. In fact, I can't remember the last time I have heard of a warranty issue that was oil related that did not boil down to a lack of oil in the sump.

You guys are correct, I too cannot think of an oil related issue addressed by a mfr for anything other than lack of sufficient oil.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have owned a lot of vehicles since my first in 1972, both personally and commercially, and I have never worried about receipts regarding oil, filters, etc. I have had warranty claims on stuff and no one has ever asked or cared about the receipts, or even asked what I was using for oil. From my last personal vehicle claim on a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel, to the $30,000 Cummins engine in my last commercial truck. Now I will keep records on maintenance stuff, but individual receipts on oil and filters, hardly. Seems like paranoia taking hold.

My experience has been similar. Why would a local dealer look for reasons to deny your claim? They get paid by the corporation to do the work. I've even had a dealer HELP pursue warranty coverage outside of the original warranty period (they understood they weren't touching my car if I had to pay personally).

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Seems like paranoia taking hold.

I agree.

No one who changes their oil at reasonable intervals will destroy their engine from an oil related failure within the warranty period.

My question/moment of clarity is this, if the receipt you have only says 'Mobil 1 5w30' /' motor oil 5w30' / '5w30' or 'M1 5w30' as has been the case with my receipts from WMart, it would be very difficult to deny a claim if you show the recommended viscosity has been used because oil companies change formulation, packaging, and certification vocabulary (meets, exceeds, approved etc) often.

I wouldn't worry. When I keep my personal records of oil changes, I note what specification the oil met (i.e. SN/GF-5, or SM/GF-4, or CJ-4/SM) in addition to the viscosity and brand. Short of having sworn depositions and videotapes and virgin samples, I don't think there's much more we can do to document our oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Short of having sworn depositions and videotapes and virgin samples, I don't think there's much more we can do to document our oil changes.

grin.gif

Last edited:
Ditto. With all the high quality oils out there it would be a real stretch to prove oil failure in a warranty claim situation. Heck, even GM says their oil requirements are Dexos or equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back