Lower Priced Indian Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks nice but no place for my clutch burner...don't think she'll sit on the fender.

Last edited:
Only gripe I have with it is that the rear tire should have more meat on it to handle the engine's performance. I would have expected a 170 or 180 rear on something like that.

For the price of a 1200 Sportster Custom it looks to be a bigger (between a sporty and dyna in size), more powerful cruiser that is closer to original VRSC in output.

Here is some information on the Scout. I like the way it looks.

How about this though: the article claims that it requires 5 quarts of 15w-60. I imagine that's something you can only get at Indian dealerships to increase their parts sales.

You could likely run 20w60 from Redline, and I bet in the manual 15w50/20w50/10w50 would also work in it. My Triumph for instance says I can use 10w40 or 10w50 and just about everyone on the forums runs 15w50 or 20w50 in them just fine.

Might have to pony up the cash for oil till the warranty is up though.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Looks nice but no place for my clutch burner...don't think she'll sit on the fender.

There is an available queen pillion which doesn't look bad.

Best looking Indian yet. As I've said in other threads, Polaris will take care of the brand and we will see more models. I wouldn't be surprised to see this engine racing in flat track.

[censored] you Robenstein you beat me to it. Just read the email from Indian this morning. I don't think this is going to hit the mark. I was thinking it would be an air cooled naked not liquid cooled one. But Liquid is the direction everything is going to have to go, until electric takes over. If they could tweak the power just a little more, with that low weight (538 dry) they might have a destroyer of Harley V-Rods.

I guess I don't get it. I hate the shocks and shock mount (or frame) under the seat...

Jury is out on the engine and heads...

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I wonder how much is American made.

Well if we base it off how American made Victory is, then they would have an American parts count equal to or higher than it's old nemesis in Milwaukee.

I remember seeing rumors of a liquid cooled Victory months back, the drawings look like the Indian. I am somewhat surprised to see liquid cooling hit Indian before Victory.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I guess I don't get it. I hate the shocks and shock mount (or frame) under the seat...

Why ? it's nice and clean, no tubes/gussets/ugly welds and lay down shocks are the best for comfort...no pogo effect.

I really like that bike but I wouldn't want to buy first year, be my luck a year or two later they come out with a hotrod Super Scout.

I hope Indian really takes hold, the competition will make things better for us all.

Take this engine, change the appearance a bit so its distinct, maybe bore or stroke it to a bigger displacement and wedge it in a Victory Hammer then you would have a real V rod slayer.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Why ? it's nice and clean, no tubes/gussets/ugly welds and lay down shocks are the best for comfort...no pogo effect.

Appearance...

I have to think that Indians obvious juxtaposition of very retro and very modern styling cues is intentional at this point, but it all just looks out of place to me. Apparently it works for most...

I hope Indian really takes hold, the competition will make things better for us all.

Absolutely

Thanks for the video and links guys.

I like the bike. Looks comfortable,dohc is cool too.
Being a dohc what's the redline and powerband like?
What I like about the 106 in my bike is the low end torque. I've got 100tq at 2200/2300rpm,and it takes very little throttle to start that front tire creeping up.
I'm assuming the Indian has a highish rev limit and I'm guessing it likes to spin.
Shared sump sucks but all in all I like the total package.

Why does shared sump suck? I'm guessing because it does tend to make the oil shear down faster. But isn't Harley-Davidson about the only pre-unit design still being used today? Everything else is unit these days.

Shearing is one issue with unit construction. The other is that if you get damage to the engine casing for instance the whole case is junk. With harley having separate primary, engine, and trans if one gets damaged it does not take the rest with it.

However unit construction historically made for stronger drivetrains and cheaper, easier, and more efficient assembly at the factory. Like all things it is a mixed bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back