Mobil 1 is slipping, ACEA downgrades for M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Walmart today, I noticed something disturbing about some of the new M1 bottles.

The 0w20 and 5w20's no longer have ACEA on them at all

5w30 is only A1/B1 now instead of A5/B5. This affects all variants of 5w30, regular, HM, and EP.

Earlier this year, the heavier grades lost their A3/B4 spec and became A3/B3-only.

This, as PP 5w30 finally meets A5/B5 (before the recent changeover, only PU met this standard).

Castrol Edge continues to meet the ACEA standards. A1/B1 in 0/5w20, A5/B5 in 5/10w30, and A3/B4 for the heavier grades (except for a classic car formulation that never met ACEA).

What do the U.S. data sheets say? Up here, 5w-30, for instance, still shows A1/B1 A5/B5 on the current data sheet. Maybe the dexos1 logo is taking up too much space.
wink.gif

I still see the ACEA Certs listed on the U.S. website and I went ahead and asked this question to Mobil/Exxon via email.

I haven't seen this on the bottles at my local Wal Mart, but they've done a Roll Back on M1 and M1HM 5 quart jugs,(which I've been taking full advantage of, stocking up my garage!
smile.gif
)I assumed some new M1 labeling was soon to arrive as this is what my WM did with PP before the new Pure Plus bottles hit the shelf.

I'll post back when I receive a reply.

Although I can't imagine M1 downgrading their products.

I've been clicking around on the Mobil site.

Some of their data sheets are older (from 2013) but other viscosities have brand new data sheets only a month or two old.

I'll tell you something else, just for an unsolicited opinion. I noticed a higher burn-off rate of Mobil 1 5w30 EP versus standard Mobil 1 5w30. It was as obvious as can be.

Slipping? That's funny. So one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) and most respected company in the industry is going to give up market share by producing an inferior product? C'mon, man.

Maybe they changed the formula and the HTHS on the 5W-30 is 2.8. The light oil guys should love that.

I suspect this is just a packaged issue.

As Acea is more relevant to Europe surely?

I very much doubt a synthetic Mobil 1 oil can not match A5/B5 as Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE matches it and has done for many years.

And Castrol GTX mineral oil now matches B4.

Quote:

and most respected company in the industry is going to give up market share by producing an inferior product? C'mon, man.

QP, What about their Katrina blends?

I just picked up M1 0W20 AFE on rollback at WM ... First time user - hope I will enjoy it in a 4 cylinder , non turbo , never sees 4,000 RPM in suburban environment .

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I suspect this is just a packaged issue.

As Acea is more relevant to Europe surely?

This. ACEA means nothing to the normal buyer is the US.

Not everybody wants to be as nerdy as us. Euro-marque buyers may be more adept at picking out the right stuff for their cars but they'll look for BMW, VAG or M-B specs anyway, not ACEA.

This just sounds like Mobil bashing based on the title.

Mobil has repeatedly said (even on their website) that the Wal-mart oils are exactly the same. I agree that it's just a different label for the US.

To me, ACEA is important because they're fairly tough standards set by the automakers and written by engineers, not accountants or lobbyists.

Dexos is mainly a cash grab.

And I didn't mean it to be Mobil bashing. In fact, I've used M1 for quite some time.

Also, it didn't seem to be labeling reasons for me, as the 5w30 still says A1/B1 but not A5/B5. Castrol still meets it, and Pennzoil has finally stepped up; even Valvoline puts ACEA A1/A5 on their bottles to appear to have some ACEA compliance. Cheap QSUD says A1-02 (0/5w20) or A5-02 (5w30). Obviously, it has some importance.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Maybe they changed the formula and the HTHS on the 5W-30 is 2.8. The light oil guys should love that.

I don't think so. First, for the 5w30, they still say A1/B1, which still requires HTHS >= 2.9 for grades above xW20.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
To me, ACEA is important because they're fairly tough standards set by the automakers and written by engineers, not accountants or lobbyists.

No it isn't. It's the Euro equivalent to API spec's with specific classifications...

Quote:
Dexos is mainly a cash grab.

No it isn't, Dexos1 exceeds SN by a margin...

Quote:
And I didn't mean it to be Mobil bashing. In fact, I've used M1 for quite some time.

Also, it didn't seem to be labeling reasons for me, as the 5w30 still says A1/B1 but not A5/B5. Castrol still meets it, and Pennzoil has finally stepped up; even Valvoline puts ACEA A1/A5 on their bottles to appear to have some ACEA compliance. Cheap QSUD says A1-02 (0/5w20) or A5-02 (5w30). Obviously, it has some importance.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

I don't think so. First, for the 5w30, they still say A1/B1, which still requires HTHS >= 2.9 for grades above xW20.

This issue has been kicked around, the weird poster that used to obsess over Mobil 1 0W-30 not meeting A5 (it actually did, Mobil 1 never bothered putting it on their NA bottles until after it had been out sometime here) is no longer with us. They still meet A5 based on their website and are constantly relogoing their bottles with different marketing nonsense like everyone else...

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
All of the fresh stock of 0W-20 bottles at Walmart still say ACEA A1/B1 on them. The EP may be different for some reason.

0W-20 doesn't meet A5, I'm not sure it can based on the weight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back