Microfibers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wash those things! I save them until I have a load ready, then wash them in cold, normal cycle, with detergent and a cup of Simple Green, to make sure all the residues comes out. I like to do an extra rinse cycle as well, to make sure all the soap is out. Air-dry if you have the space, or tumble on low with no drier sheet. They don't like fabric softener, from what I've read.

Launder them as such:

1. hot water
2. second rinse
3. only wash and dry with other microfiber towels
4. no dryer sheets or fabric softener

There are special detergents for washing them, but I've never had any streaking or contamination issues with regular laundry detergent.

If they start developing a weird smell or feel worn-out, you can wash them with white vinegar.

Not all microfibers are created equal but if you like what you have definitely wash them. Do not use normal (modern) laundry detergent with softeners, fragrances, etc. I use 20 Mule Team Borax in my front loader (it's a small load so bubbles aren't bad). Then dry them without any dryer sheets.

Edit: yes, as dparm said, hot water, second rinse

Last edited:
I wash them with regular liquid laundry detergent and a shot of Simple Green. I use an extra rinse cycle.

like DPARM said...but be sure to set dryer on lowest temp setting. I have some micro's in the dryer now. I have the dryer set for the lowest temp and have it on a timer set such that it will buzz me just before the towels get bone-dry.
Also, I am using Micro-restore detergent right now, but have a jug of 'All Free-and-Clear' waiting in the wings because it seems the preponderance of the opinions are that specialized microfiber detergents may be a waste of $$.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I just wash mine with my cloths...never had a problem doing this...

Every manufacturer of MFs that I have seen always say DO NOT wash with regular clothes. If it works for you, that's fine, but the manufacturers recommend against it. Your MFs will pick up the lint and stuff from your normal clothes.

Even if you have other clothes that could stand to be dried on low heat, don’t put them in with microfiber. The static nature of microfiber will attract every bit of lint from other garments. Wash and dry microfiber separately.

Tip: If you wash your microfiber products in the washing machine, throw used ones in a separate bin from the regular laundry. This will prevent an accidental mix-up that could result in compromised microfiber.

Last edited:
I agree with most above but there are a few things not mentioned.

1. If they are just filthy drop them in a 5 gallon bucket with two scoops of Oxyclean, use the hose to foam it up and let them soak at least overnight. Then wash them the next day.
This also works for polish soaked pads from the buffer. Wash only with other pads, no towels.

2. It is IMPERATIVE that you use a soap that does not contain perfumes or fabric softeners. Tide Free is one but I prefer Charlie's Soap since I can buy it locally by the gallon.

I have hundreds of MF towels and always put them in the dryer after a double rinse. Hanging them up wet is simply not required but preferred by some.

Although I have acquired towels from many sources the best have been purchased from Poorboy's. Many are now eight years old and look & perform as they did when new.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33

Every manufacturer of MFs that I have seen always say DO NOT wash with regular clothes. If it works for you, that's fine, but the manufacturers recommend against it. Your MFs will pick up the lint and stuff from your normal clothes.

Even if you have other clothes that could stand to be dried on low heat, don’t put them in with microfiber. The static nature of microfiber will attract every bit of lint from other garments. Wash and dry microfiber separately.

Tip: If you wash your microfiber products in the washing machine, throw used ones in a separate bin from the regular laundry. This will prevent an accidental mix-up that could result in compromised microfiber.

I believe he (grampi) was stating that he washes the micofiber stuff with other cotton towels/cloths and such which he uses for the car ONLY, NOT with his clothes which he and his family wear (but I could be wrong on this-grampi??).

Besides, I would NEVER put clothes in with the car wash/wax load anyway (even IF the manufacturers said it was perfectly OK to do so), since I doubt the dust residue from Collinite 845 is very good for one's skin, nor is the smell it would transfer very appealing (I don't even like to wash wearing clothes right after using the washer for a car wash/wax load).

Originally Posted By: cookiemonster
The microfiber cloths we use to dry, wax, wipe the windows, etc.. do you launder them for reuse or just buy a new pack?

I launder them. I put them on the 'heavy' cycle with maybe a tablespoon of vinegar plus the detergent. I don't know if the vinegar does anything but it makes me feel better. I try to turn back the knob on the cycle for some extra minutes if I remember. Then I run'em through again, cold water with just a touch of detergent. Its probably overkill, but certainly cheaper than buying a new pack. Whatever is left on the towels sure won't scratch the car.

I actually don't dry them at all. Since I do the "Garry Dean" method where you slap one towel on after another, I just mix up next week's hooch, put the damp towels in put the lid on and hold back a few for air drying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Zeus33

I believe he (grampi) was stating that he washes the micofiber stuff with other cotton towels/cloths and such which he uses for the car ONLY, NOT with his clothes which he and his family wear (but I could be wrong on this-grampi??).

Besides, I would NEVER put clothes in with the car wash/wax load anyway (even IF the manufacturers said it was perfectly OK to do so), since I doubt the dust residue from Collinite 845 is very good for one's skin, nor is the smell it would transfer very appealing (I don't even like to wash wearing clothes right after using the washer for a car wash/wax load).

No, I put them in with my regular cloths...never had a problem with my cloths, or the micro fibers doing this...but there's certainly nothing wrong with taking extra precautions either...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
Also, I am using Micro-restore detergent right now, but have a jug of 'All Free-and-Clear' waiting in the wings because it seems the preponderance of the opinions are that specialized microfiber detergents may be a waste of $$.

I personally use something like Tide Free for them, and make sure they get an extra rinse. I don't use the dryer, since mine is a bit warm, even on low. So, I just use a makeshift clothesline in my basement.

NOTE: Some Microfiber towels will capture and hold particulates that will scratch paint and plastic, not to mention windows. Washing them won't remove these particulates.

Don't drop your towels on the ground. And, don't put them near the drill press or where you were grinding/cutting metal.

MFers washed in warm water with Woolite.
Extra rinse cycle.
Low dryer heat.
No fabric softeners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back