streaming live sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a good service to watch live games instead of keeping a cable subscription ?

In particular I am looking for NY Rangers games to watch . It is the main reason for keeping the plan I have now and I am looking to save some money.

Does the Rangers website offer something?

Do you have a friend or neighbor with cable you could "sublet" with a Slingbox (tm)?

Have you looked into something like Roku and the channels it has to offer? I know people how have Rokus and they get everything on them. However, i don't have one myself, so I'm not sure of how many of the channels are official and how many of them are more "questionable" about who's providing them.

Odds are the Rangers TV games require a TV subscription from either cable or satellite. Their website may offer a TV package for out-of-market / out-of-state fans, but probably not local fans. Things like ROKU generally only work for out-of-state fans.

Many live streaming sites require that you have an account with some kind of cable service. They will ask for your cable user ID and password.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Odds are the Rangers TV games require a TV subscription from either cable or satellite. Their website may offer a TV package for out-of-market / out-of-state fans, but probably not local fans. Things like ROKU generally only work for out-of-state fans.

Can get around this with a Virtual Private Network.

thanks for all the info guys .
Definitely going to check these ideas out . I am paying
$160 a month for a Verizon service I use very little .

Isn't that link for watching the game the next day-only?.,...... after paying 4.95 per month subscriber rates?

Will it deliver you our local home teams too, within a 60-90 mile radius of the Arena?

Likely not ethical however my dad has one of these installed at his home where is cable is. http://www.sling.com/ It needs a host family with internet and decent cable.

He does pay an extra $10/month for cable box for it however I reap the benefits at our vacation home and he does travelling abroad.

I checked my zip and the games are blacked out on nhl game center .

I still may subscribe and check out some replay games out out of state games .

The sling box looks very easy . I have a brother in Connecticut who gets a few Ranger games on his plan. I will have to see how many.

Rokus and other streaming boxes generally aren't optimized for live sports. True, there are channels you can install and subscribe to, like NHL, NFL, etc. These are not a good value for a recreational Sunday afternoon type football watcher like myself, but if you're a fervent fan of a particular team, then they may be.

This is why we chose to supplement our Roku boxes with a large antenna. It's installed in our attic and we receive very well three of the major four networks: CBS, NBC, Fox. We do get ABC, but it seems to be somewhat weather-dependent, and we don't watch a lot of ABC anyway. The three networks provide plenty of Saturday afternoon college and Sunday afternoon professional football games, and it's free after the initial antenna equipment purchase. This works for us.

Are you in an area where you can receive good over-the-air reception, and are the Rangers games televised on a broadcast network?

A few Rangers games are televised on NBC but for the most part they are on cable . Usually on the Madison Square Garden Network .

I posted this same question on BITOG a while back. Not many replies...I've taken to recording games off the air via radio onto a hard drive using Audacity, then using same to strip out all the commercials & ads. Then convert to mp3 to play in car or garage.

I like to listen to the audio in the garage while working, without the %^&*$#!-stupid ads every few minutes as they really interrupt the flow of the game.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ll_#Post3233702

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back