PU 5w-30 API SN / 2,326 mi / 2012 Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
UOA of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 in my 2012 WRX. I ran it for 7 oil changes (sampled every other one), but this most recent change was Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30, which should be the same formula as the old Ultra.

As you can see, I only ran this oil for ~2300 miles and it sheared down well in to an SAE 20w. Glad I drained it when I did. The previous samples mostly stayed in grade, so what is the difference you might ask?

For the previous samples, I drove the car, very, very gently. Not really enjoying it at all if I'm honest. In this most recent sample, all I did was hit full boost at least once a day. That's it. Nothing more than that. I just wanted to hit full boost, once a day, on principle. I know that sounds silly, but I was just fed up with walking on egg shells for the car and decided to drive it and enjoy it.

So, what does that net me? Well, apparently Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 will shear at least 1.0 cSt more if you actually drive the car spiritedly.

My concern: Tin is up to 6ppm from 1ppm on the previous sample. I e-mailed Blackstone about it since they didn't comment on it. Lead and Copper are still dropping with every sample, so I'm not going to jump to any conclusions just yet. I wish now that I had sampled every OCI instead of every other one, but the engine seemed to be doing well.

Thoughts, comments?

002-072714.png

P.S. I switched to Motul 8100 X-Clean 5w-30 on this oil change, and I might sample it at 1,000 mi and send it in to keep an eye on it.

I have a 2014 WRX. Low viscosity oils can be a problem, and blown engines can result. Read NASIOC.

These engines need a very stout 5W-30 that does not shear or a 5W-40. That is all.

I would use a 0w40 or 5w40 and call it a day,

a heavy 5w30 that doesn't shear out of grade is ok as well.

you dont really want a "mpg" oil in that engine.

something like m1 0w40 that shears to a high/mid 30wt is very acceptable, but many swear by RTS 5w40

These engines have a high power density (hp/liter)
and can dump heat in the oil rapidly, which is also used to lube and partially cool the turbo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I've already switched to Motul 8100 X-Clean 5w30 on this oil change. I won't be running Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 anymore.

Shell RT6 5w40 does not meet Subaru's new (post '11) warranty requirements--nor does any other 5w40, 0w30, or 0w40. Subaru wants 5w30 synthetic. I know a more robust 5w40 or 0w30 like GC would be great, but again, I am restricted to 5w30.

Dennis (bluesubie) actually told me I should post the UOA here. I guess I was just looking for opinions on the Tin and other aspects of the UOA. I've already ditched the Resource Conserving oil.

dOOOOOd! Tin is elevated because you're engine is wearing out!
48.gif

Hopefully the tin is just uoa "noise" and nothing to be concerned about. It's interesting that you started driving the car a bit more aggressively and the oil sheared further and there was the uptick in tin. X-clean should work well as long as you don't try to push the intervals too far (low-ish TBN). I think there are at least a couple of WRX uoa's here on it.

Maybe sneak in a quart of X-clean 5W-40. We won't tell.

And, of course,
welcome2.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Before leaving BITOG, a wise wise man, a long long time ago told me that when tin is elevated to abnormal level as it is in this report it usually means that the viscosity is too low. Like others have said move to 5w40. Indeed Rotella T6 has a cult following on the subie forums. For an oil that costs around $20 for a 5 quart jug at wally world it sure performs great!

Originally Posted By: bicycle_wreck

Shell RT6 5w40 does not meet Subaru's new (post '11) warranty requirements

Curious if this is worldwide or just in USA, and CAFE related?

Originally Posted By: deven
Before leaving BITOG, a wise wise man, a long long time ago told me that when tin is elevated to abnormal level as it is in this report it usually means that the viscosity is too low.

Did his user name begin with "T"?

35.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: deven
Before leaving BITOG, a wise wise man, a long long time ago told me that when tin is elevated to abnormal level as it is in this report it usually means that the viscosity is too low.

Did his user name begin with "T"?

35.gif

-Dennis

thumbsup2.gif

He's another one that believes in an oil with with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher in a turbo Subaru. Smart man.
25.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies!

Here is the latest UOA with Motul 8100 X-Clean 5w30. Stayed in grade, but a lot less moly. Tin went down. I made a
Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

002-110914.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it's probably best to drive normally for 15-20 minutes (with no idling) before taking a sample. Looks good though! I wonder of they've reduced zinc in this since it was around 1,000 ppm's in previous uoa's.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Yeah, it's probably best to drive normally for 15-20 minutes (with no idling) before taking a sample. Looks good though! I wonder of they've reduced zinc in this since it was around 1,000 ppm's in previous uoa's.

-Dennis

Thank you for the reply, Dennis!

Yeah, I was pretty happy with how this stuff stayed in grade, and it actually costs less than a 5qt jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30. No brainer if you're wanting to meet Subaru's spec.

T5 10W30 - if you want to stay with a 30 grade in the south.
T6 5W40
M1 0W40

Boom. Done.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I have a 2014 WRX. Low viscosity oils can be a problem, and blown engines can result. Read NASIOC.

These engines need a very stout 5W-30 that does not shear or a 5W-40. That is all.
I just bought a 2014 normally aspirated Forester with a 2.5. Is this engine hard on oil as well? I'm not finding much info on it.
Regards,
Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back