What oil to use in my Saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxlife is on rollback at WM now; $16.17 for the 5-quart jug. Supertech HM is $14.63. I'd stick with the Maxlife. Save the $1.54 somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
It doesn't burn much oil maybe a quart in 3000 miles and most of my driving is highway.
I want a conventional I can run to 5000 tops and will keep her clean. I know Saturn's are [censored] on oil so for a Dino it may be a tough challenge

Consider Mobil Super 5000 in the weight you desire, which I think is under $13 for a 5 quart jug at WalMart. A Motorcraft filter that fits you Saturn should work well and be a very economical combination for 5000 OCI's.

I'm dealing with a similar situation: 2000 SL, 156,xxx miles, burning a little more oil than yours, belongs to a friend.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3439140/1

My take, from reading Saturnfans.com:
-Check the oil weekly. These cars sometimes start burning oil quickly, and low oil is a very bad thing.
-Full synthetic is always king, these cars really like it apparently. You're not burning that much oil; with the difference in OCI versus price, dino vs blend vs synth, you don't really save much money going with conventional. Just to spend minimal times under the vehicle and reduce the cost of gaskets and the risk of rounding off your drain plug or something, full synthetic + a quality filter is probably your best bet.
-Apparently replacing the PCV valve is generally a good idea if it's never been worked on. The Autozone PCV1109DL PCV valve costs $3 and can be installed in a couple of minutes with no tools. You can also just take off the existing PCV valve and try to clean it out with throttle body cleaner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back