No reading on dipstick. Amsoil 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
CORRECTION I ADDED 2.5 QUarts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here are some pics to prove it.

Originally Posted By: wjason777
I begin to think that there was problem with the dip stick.

Yup, that's where you'd henceforth best focus proper attention.

Welcome to BITOG though.

You never check your oil unless the engine is off and on a flat surface. Turning the engine on just throws oil at the dipstick.

Your engine is obviously consuming oil which is normal for a higher mileage vehicle.

Check your dipstick more often.

Amsoil is great oil but it's not magic.

Yes Yes Yes! what everybody has said. I have a NEW 2014 car, with now less than 6000 miles on it, and have checked the oil at least 6 times.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why would you go 10,000 miles without looking at your oil level? Just because you overpaid on oil and because it's Amsoil doesn't mean it's not going to burn any more than any other oil. Your car has high mileage and you've neglected to keep up on checking it's oil level. Change the filter and run it for 3,000 miles checking the level frequently then drain it. Your car is an oil burner. Don't pay so much for oil (Amsoil) if it's just gonna burn it up.

Because its suppose to be a 25kmile oil and filter.

You have got to be kidding. Right?

Please don't misinterpret me as being jerky but i figured if you cared enough to find amsoil and bitog.com you care enough to check your oil.

On a separate note every morning when i go out and use my vehicle i don't know why but i expect a big oil puddle below. When i see nothing i then check my oil then start up. Ill probably wear out my hood hinges from opening it so often. lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joegreen
Please don't misinterpret me as being jerky but i figured if you cared enough to find amsoil and bitog.com you care enough to check your oil.

On a separate note every morning when i go out and use my vehicle i don't know why but i expect a big oil puddle below. When i see nothing i then check my oil then start up. Ill probably wear out my hood hinges from opening it so often. lol

LOL I totally agree.

Wow, responses seem harsh for the forum. What got everyone into such a bad mood?

Yes, Amsoil is a great oil, and I don't think you over paid for oil since you have such long oil change intervals. However, you need to be checking your oil more often. What a lot of us on here do is we check the oil every time we stop for gas. This might be excessive though (hey, we're on a website dedicated to motor oil), but you should check your oil every 1k miles and if you find that it's burning oil quicker then that then you should check it more frequently .

What I do is I pull up to the pump, pop the hood and clean the dip stick. I don't immediately check the oil though, I lay the dip stick on some paper towels and fill up with gas. This gives the oil that was pulled up the dipstick tube time to drain back down so I can get an accurate reading. Once I'm done filling up, that's when I check the oil level.

If I was in your place, I'd do a full oil change to get back to a baseline and make sure everything is right. However, I wouldn't go back to Amsoil just yet. It's a great oil, but I'd first try to figure out what's going on with your vehicle before paying the cost of Amsoil, when it appears that oil is being consumed. Personally, I'd go with a high mileage oil, either Valvoline MaxLife (which is available in a synthetic if that's what you want), or Mobil 1 high mileage. Then start checking your oil every 1k miles or so, topping up as needed. Eventually you'll figure out what your consumption rate is, and then can decide what you want to do oil wise (go back to Amsoil, stick with a high mileage oil, etc).

I have a 08 dodge charget R/T. It Now have 184k miles on it. I did a oil change back in March of this year when it was at 174kmiles. I used amsoil 5-20 signture series with there 25kmiles filter. Last week ive been noticing some jurking and somewhat small skipping around 65-80mph. Not nothing noticable, just something that I could tell. Just out of curiousity I checked the oil. Coulnt get a oil reading. So I checked and checked numorous of times, still nothing. I cranked the car and then checked it again, the dip stick gave me a reading of full.
I thought nothing of it, because amsoil is suppose to be one of the best oils money can buy, im thinking that there no way that this oil could of burned that much within 10kmiles. I begin to think that there was problem with the dip stick. I even checked for leaks, no leaks.
I continued to drive it, I then started to notice some knocking and clicking noise. I shut the car of and checked the dip stick, nothing. Crank the car up and checked again. it still read full when running. I grab a 5 quart containter of Mobile 1 that I had in my garage and added one quart while the car was off, checked the dip stick and I could see a reading on the dip stick. I added 4 more quarts and now the dipstick reads just a quart below the full level.
How could this be? Why did I lose so much Oil within 10kmiles? What should I do? Thought about calling amsoil and getting a refund.
SHould i change oil and filter even though I added new oil? Thought about trying out that new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with a Fram Filter.
Could someone please help!

You have to check your oil, frequently. 10K miles is a long time to go w/o checking. In 10K miles I probably would have checked my oil 10 times! Cranking the engine and checking again is exactly what you shouldn't do, it gives a false reading. Calling Amsoil and blaming them isn't going to help, they'll tell you to check your oil and top up as needed. They'd be right too.

Consider replacing your PCV valve, and doing a piston soak, along with a compression test while the plugs are out. If that doesn't help check the valve stem seals. You could try a less expensive HM oil or bumping up a grade to 5W30, or both. Good luck!

LOL Priceless!

Charger R/T..... Doesn't that have the 5.7L with MDS? Perhaps that is where the oil is going?
21.gif

Regardless, not checking the oil level in 10k deserves
33.gif
15.gif
33.gif
spankme2.gif
33.gif
06.gif
33.gif

Because its suppose to be a 25kmile oil and filter. [/quote]
it's rare I'm on the computer at about 7:45 a.m.the above made it worthwhile. you check the oil at 10 k. because of the above line. I almost spit up my coffee.
go to a hm 5w-30 and replace the pcv valve (oem). the odds are slim that it's ever been changed, if you only check oil at 10 k. miles.
at any rate, welcome to bitog.
ot -- are you technolog or carnoobie ? if so, did you find a place to buy magic beans? have a good day.

Because its suppose to be a 25kmile oil and filter. [/quote]
it's rare I'm on the computer at about 7:45 a.m.the above made it worthwhile. you check the oil at 10 k. because of the above line. I almost spit up my coffee.
go to a hm 5w-30 and replace the pcv valve (oem). the odds are slim that it's ever been changed, if you only check oil at 10 k. miles.
at any rate, welcome to bitog.
ot -- are you technolog or carnoobie ? if so, did you find a place to buy magic beans? have a good day.
if hm oil and pcv valve do not rectify the issue, pee in the cowl.

Didn't check oil for TEN THOUSAND MILES??!!

Finally checks oil and finds it 4 quarts low. Blames oil manufacturer. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA?

Based on your vehicle maintenance, or lack thereof, you would be much better just going to a quick lube every 5K miles and getting an oil change. That way you shouldn't have to worry about that pesky habit of checking the oil. I thought I've heard it all...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why would you go 10,000 miles without looking at your oil level?

Because its suppose to be a 25kmile oil and filter.

lmao-seriously.jpg

Did the oil pressure light ever come on? An engine will do OK with low oil level, not with pressure loss. Certainly the engine acting up may be enough already. "jerking and skipping" you mentioned sounds more like transmission, not engine oil problems.

Last edited:

Its always a good idea to look for puddles after being parked. One could get white poster board paper and put it underneath once a month overnight to check for leaks if you can't tell well enough from a concrete or tile floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back