Air Travel from US to Ebola Outbreak zone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I only hope some crazy fanatic minds don't get some ideas about it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking?

I have seen people do silly things. This scenario is possible. Even the fanatical leaning people in this world prefer to stay away from a disease that has the effects of Ebola.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
Oh, im sorry. Too serious for you? Ok, lets keep it light. Back to your regularly scheduled reality show. Dancing with the stars and Happy Meals. Nothing to see here

I apologize you did not understand.

Spasm,
Looking at your occupation, I'll ask a tough question. Whats the worst case scenario for USA fatalities if Ebola takes hold here?

Man i have no idea. Containment is the issue, with the long incubation period confining those that are sick would not do it .
I'm not that involved with infection control on a large level, the incubation can be 2 weeks to 4 weeks before symptoms appear. The good thing is we don't have quite the tropical environment to support the continued manifestation like with the fruit bats and the chain of transmission in congo like areas. i would worry about everglade areas. Obviously densely populated areas would be worry some. You really would need someone with experience in the cdc and nih to predict this. I'm sure on some scale there is a plan. I would expect portable tents for triage that hospitals used similar to the H1N1 pandemic. I could not guess at the transmission rates. We do have better hygiene i.e. waste management and clean water vs third world countries, so the spread would not be as fast. I would worry that with the long incubation, by the time one person shows symptoms , it will exponentially already be moving.

Read Spasms post, and look at his qualifications.

Why would any Sane leader allow this across our borders?

Again
-no cure
-high fatality rate
-3-4 weeks incubation (before symptoms begin)

Right Now 1000 citizens could have it, be contagious and not even know it.

Quote:
As many as 50 African leaders and hundreds of ministers will attend the Tuesday's state dinner, Wednesday's summit and more than 80 side events meant to address security, stability, governance and economic growth, but the specter of a growing Ebola epidemic threatens to push its way to the forefront.

Quote:
Some visiting dignitaries, he said, would be screened as they leave their countries and will get additional screening once they arrive in Washington,

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...-newstopstories

Read Spasms post, and look at his qualifications.

I have little experience in this area, so i don't want to misrepresent myself in any way. Only the observations of working in the healthcare field the last 27 years.

Spasm,
Fair enough, but thats tons more than most on here.

Do you agree that our current course of action is reckless? That is definately my opinion.

Further opinion-- Its not a pleasant thought, but the reality is that hospitals here would be completely overwhelmed. The sick would be hauled off to camps under martial law, where most would die in tent cities. Think thats far fetched? Theres no cure!

Originally Posted By: dave1251
People question why conspiracy theorist decide to go into business.

Im not sure what your trying to say.

If you think our open flights to and from Ebola infected countries is a good idea, I'd like to hear why. Is it because the CDC and WHO put out statements indicating everything is fine? Think.

Spasm,
Fair enough, but thats tons more than most on here.

Do you agree that our current course of action is reckless? That is definately my opinion.

Further opinion-- Its not a pleasant thought, but the reality is that hospitals here would be completely overwhelmed. The sick would be hauled off to camps under martial law, where most would die in tent cities. Think thats far fetched? Theres no cure!

That might be a bit far. I really don't want to see cases brought here at all. I think flights from there should not enter the us. Ebola is not transmitted as easily as other pathogens, even though its deadly. Influenza, is easier to spread. Hospitals do deal with viruses that are transmitted similar to ebola just not as deadly. Hiv, Hepatitis, clostridium difficile bacteria. Etc. We are able to manage these on a daily basis with universal and airborne precautions.
Actually hantavirus is a hemorrhagic virus already here in the united states, its just not transmitted person to person.

Last edited:
Ebola has the potential to wipe out entire populations. The disease liquifies your organs. Your lungs fill up with blood and you drown in your own blood.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Ebola has the potential to wipe out entire populations. The disease liquifies your organs. Your lungs fill up with blood and you drown in your own blood.

A fundamental transformation of sorts

A fundamental transformation of sorts

It's the 2nd most deadly disease in world history. It has a mortality rate of 90%. The only other disease that's more deadly in the pneumonic plague, which has a mortality rate of 100%. The pneumonic plague killed 75 million people world wide between the years of 1347 and 1351.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonic_plague

pneumonic plague had 2,000 deaths out of 24,000 cases...unless my math is off that's not 100%...bubonic was the one at the time that you mention, but it was scarcely 100%.

ebola is "too efficient" in killing you, in that you don't last long after you get it, and are incapacitated fairly quickly...doesn't make it a very efficient species at taking over the world.

Stuff like the flu, where you can run around even while quite sick is very efficient at getting coverage, which probably makes it a more successful species in terms of numbers, and it doesn't kill very many hosts.

Maybe that's why we've dug up the 1918 corpses and grown the flu virus therein.

Dave1251...I tend to agree with you

Off topic, slightly. Read a thread here recently about Africa and it seemed to me to be to the effect that not visiting Africa one's life would somehow be incomplete. I say so be it, I don't care if I ever go to that continent.

My doctor has done missionary work there and came close to dieing from e coli. Had to call his partner in the states and get on the strongest antibiotic he could find, he mentioned taking Cipro. This after his urine being dark brown. The topic came up because my former pharmacist and a great guy, had retired and waited his life to go to S Africa with friends from college. He ended up dieing of kidney failure from e coli while on the trip to S Africa this year.

Add the latest Ebola outbreak, and all the other issues there, if my life is incomplete by not visiting Africa, I can live with that. Literally.

Ebola isn't airborne and the two individuals coming back are being isolated. They are also US citizens and I can bet if they were related to anyone here they would be singing a different tune.

You can't get Ebola walking around next to someone carrying it, you have to come in contact with fluids, so kiss them at least.

Also the high mortality rate works against it, since it kills most carriers rather quickly when they become most infectious.

How long do Ebola contaminated body juices remain viable on fomites?

To me this is the scary thing right now.....and MOST countries that clean things, areas, places and practice 1st world hygiene should be OK.

But let us not push that envelope.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
You can't get Ebola walking around next to someone carrying it, you have to come in contact with fluids, so kiss them at least.

So, the infected healthcare workers were kissing their sick patients? I don't buy it.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

So, the infected healthcare workers were kissing their sick patients? I don't buy it.

They were most likely handling iv fluids and iv sites. Taking care of feces/vomitus/urine and cleaning the patient afterwards as they probably can't do that themselves.

Last edited:
Ebola isn't airborne and the two individuals coming back are being isolated. They are also US citizens and I can bet if they were related to anyone here they would be singing a different tune.

Also the high mortality rate works against it, since it kills most carriers rather quickly when they become most infectious.

So how did these two get it? They were trained to use all the correct procedures and equipment. Were they both messing around with body fluids or kissing Ebola victims?
Something doesn't sound right.
Quote:
US medic Kent Brantly, 33, fell ill despite wearing full protective gear.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/ebola-doctors-told-prepare-global-3933249#ixzz39F4nrnB9
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Sorry it sure doesn't seem as hard to catch as the media is claiming it is. IMHO they are down playing this deliberately for fear of stampeding the herd.

What difference does it make what their citizenship is? If you attempt to leave a country where something like this on the loose you pose a threat to others you should not be allowed to travel.
IMHO the people responsible for bringing the victim back here should be charged with bringing what equates to an potential bomb into the country.

Good lord they put people in prison for having a Swiss Army knife on an airplane.
They went there of their own accord, they knew the risk, they accepted the risk. Now they have to accept the consequences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back