No reading on dipstick. Amsoil 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 08 dodge charget R/T. It Now have 184k miles on it. I did a oil change back in March of this year when it was at 174kmiles. I used amsoil 5-20 signture series with there 25kmiles filter. Last week ive been noticing some jurking and somewhat small skipping around 65-80mph. Not nothing noticable, just something that I could tell. Just out of curiousity I checked the oil. Coulnt get a oil reading. So I checked and checked numorous of times, still nothing. I cranked the car and then checked it again, the dip stick gave me a reading of full.
I thought nothing of it, because amsoil is suppose to be one of the best oils money can buy, im thinking that there no way that this oil could of burned that much within 10kmiles. I begin to think that there was problem with the dip stick. I even checked for leaks, no leaks.
I continued to drive it, I then started to notice some knocking and clicking noise. I shut the car of and checked the dip stick, nothing. Crank the car up and checked again. it still read full when running. I grab a 5 quart containter of Mobile 1 that I had in my garage and added one quart while the car was off, checked the dip stick and I could see a reading on the dip stick. I added 4 more quarts and now the dipstick reads just a quart below the full level.
How could this be? Why did I lose so much Oil within 10kmiles? What should I do? Thought about calling amsoil and getting a refund.
SHould i change oil and filter even though I added new oil? Thought about trying out that new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with a Fram Filter.
Could someone please help!

This story doesn't add up. Bottom of the stick on that car and a lot of others is a quart and a half to two quarts. You added 5 and it still isn't full. And you checked the level while full... Yea it's gonna show full. Are you sure you added the right amount the first time since you checked it with it running?

Why would you go 10,000 miles without looking at your oil level? Just because you overpaid on oil and because it's Amsoil doesn't mean it's not going to burn any more than any other oil. Your car has high mileage and you've neglected to keep up on checking it's oil level. Change the filter and run it for 3,000 miles checking the level frequently then drain it. Your car is an oil burner. Don't pay so much for oil (Amsoil) if it's just gonna burn it up.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
This story doesn't add up.

Agreed.

Okay, first of all take a deep breath.

Nothing that happened here is Amsoil's fault. Your car is burning or leaking oil. The Amsoil certainly isn't doing it to itself.

Your very high mileage vehicle could certainly be burning that much oil. One quart per 2,000 miles isn't unheard of. This is why I check the oil level with the engine off every time I stop for gas. Lesson learned.

So, now you've got to diagnose the problem.... At that mileage, you may have very well caused further damage to an already worn engine by running it out of oil. You may need an engine rebuild at this point, but that's your fault for not checking the oil level.

Your car is an oil burner. Change the oil for Maxlife 5w-30 with a new filter. The Maxlife is on rollback at Wal-Mart for $16/jug. Grab a Fram Ultra while you're there. Check the oil level every time you buy gas and do a few 3,000 mile oil changes.

before you blame amsoil, run a few miles on the mobil1 and see if that gets consumed too.
You could've blown a seal or gasket somewhere

Last edited:
Park on level surface. Shut off engine. Wait at least 30 min. Check oil level and report back.

Dump the Amsoil. Buy an oil filter and add the correct amount any 5w20 oil. Get that oil level correct.

Change the oil and filter. Put in the correct amount of oil. Check the level after the engine has been off and I'll bet the level on the dipstick is correct. Then check your oil level MUCH more frequently after that.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Nothing that happened here is Amsoil's fault. Your car is burning or leaking oil. The Amsoil certainly isn't doing it to itself.

Your very high mileage vehicle could certainly be burning that much oil. One quart per 2,000 miles isn't unheard of. This is why I check the oil level with the engine off every time I stop for gas. Lesson learned.

So, now you've got to diagnose the problem.... At that mileage, you may have very well caused further damage to an already worn engine by running it out of oil. You may need an engine rebuild at this point, but that's your fault for not checking the oil level.

Your car is an oil burner. Change the oil for Maxlife 5w-30 with a new filter. The Maxlife is on rollback at Wal-Mart for $16/jug. Grab a Fram Ultra while you're there. Check the oil level every time you buy gas and do a few 3,000 mile oil changes.

wow and engine rebuilt, the noise stop and the car runs fine after adding the m1

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Dump the Amsoil. Buy an oil filter and add the correct amount any 5w20 oil. Get that oil level correct.

That sounds like a plan.

Originally Posted By: wjason777

wow and engine rebuilt, the noise stop and the car runs fine after adding the m1

Time will tell. Change what's in there, put on a new filter, and get under the hood every once in a while.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why would you go 10,000 miles without looking at your oil level? Just because you overpaid on oil and because it's Amsoil doesn't mean it's not going to burn any more than any other oil. Your car has high mileage and you've neglected to keep up on checking it's oil level. Change the filter and run it for 3,000 miles checking the level frequently then drain it. Your car is an oil burner. Don't pay so much for oil (Amsoil) if it's just gonna burn it up.

Because its suppose to be a 25kmile oil and filter.

Time will tell. Change what's in there, put on a new filter, and get under the hood every once in a while.

What do you think about changing the oil to the Pennzoil with a Fram filter?

Am I to understand that you added 5 qts of oil (and were still 1 qt low) to an engine that holds 6 qts?

It's hard to imagine that your car would still be running under such circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Because its suppose to be a 25kmile oil and filter in a healthy motor that's not burning oil, although the only way to know that is by checking the dipstick.

Fixed it for you.

What do you think about changing the oil to the Pennzoil with a Fram filter?

Any oil is better than no oil, which may have been what was in there before. I'd personally be running Maxlife at this point with a Wix or Fram Ultra. 5w-30 may slow the burning a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back