Turbo 2.0L 4cylinders - Beat V6s? (Ecoboost, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the whole thread, interesting. All I really have to say is Car and Driver numbers...UGH.
smile.gif

Magazine racers unite.

I have not been a huge fan of Fords turbo engines because they simply dont seem to deliver mileage in the real world. However, the new 2.7V6 TT in the new F150 may be a game changer. Time will tell of course. Really like what Mazda has done overall. They are one of the best kept secrets imo in the auto industry.

Last edited:
Personally I don't like the sound of current 2.0L turbo motors at all. The BMW stuff just does not sound like you spent that coin. Even Subaru ruined it with the new WRX motor

I wish they sounded more like this
smile.gif
but 2.1 I5. I still remember listening to this car at Pike Peak rally car race a relative took me too and was blown away with awe.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
I have not been a huge fan of Fords turbo engines because they simply dont seem to deliver mileage in the real world.

I disagree. Both my 2011 F150 Ecoboast and the Rental 1.5L EB Fusion provide better MPG than their conventionally powered versions.

I have a 2009 5.4L F150. It averages 14.5MPG. I also have 2011 F150 3.5L EB truck in the same configuration (super crew) and it averages just shy of 19MPG. Same driver. AND, the EB truck is considerably faster.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: nomochevys
I have not been a huge fan of Fords turbo engines because they simply dont seem to deliver mileage in the real world.

I disagree. Both my 2011 F150 Ecoboast and the Rental 1.5L EB Fusion provide better MPG than their conventionally powered versions.

I have a 2009 5.4L F150. It averages 14.5MPG. I also have 2011 F150 3.5L EB truck in the same configuration (super crew) and it averages just shy of 19MPG. Same driver. AND, the EB truck is considerably faster.

I can get 28-30MPG out of my parents 2013 Ecoboost Escape (2.0) on regular gas. I can't wait to take a trip on 91 and see what I can get out of it!

I've put a few of the new BMW 2.0 turbos through their paces and came away thoroughly impressed with their right now power and torque. Yes there is a touch of lag, but nothing like the 2.0 Audi A5 that was available to compare it to. My only thing is BMW is still charging a 6 cylinder price for the whole thing.

What Dohc98vteC said. BMW's normally aspirated sixes, not made anymore (all fours and sixes are boosted now). Those sixes are smoothe as silk. It'd be nice to have an N52 BMW 6 with higher compression like Mazda's Skyactiv, no turbo required, although DI is essential. Mazda's system is currently the best approach for fuel economy & power combo.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Personally I don't like the sound of current 2.0L turbo motors at all. The BMW stuff just does not sound like you spent that coin. Even Subaru ruined it with the new WRX motor

I wish they sounded more like this
smile.gif
but 2.1 I5. I still remember listening to this car at Pike Peak rally car race a relative took me too and was blown away with awe.

Yes, having seen (and heard) Audi Quattro coupes driven in full anger at SCCA Pro Rallies, in person, I totally agree, and these were not even the short wheelbase 'killer B' versions like the above, or the even much more powerful and modified 'special' you spied on Pike's Peak.

Ironically, at these same rallies, the ONLY thing which even sounded close to the 'woofle' note of these cars was the older, 2 liter, turbo Scoobie WRXes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back