List of Purolator failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a bummer-and-a-half... I've been using puro classics for my short 3k oci's... I guess change is good... Wix it is!

Originally Posted By: slowdime
What a bummer-and-a-half... I've been using puro classics for my short 3k oci's... I guess change is good... Wix it is!

Not a darn thing wrong with Wix filters!

Wuh? Purolator responded a couple of months ago about the filter tears, with their investigation strategies posted here on BITOG.

Sure a quality control factory engineer knows about it at Purolator, and I'm wondering if a Vice Pres or higher knows about it. Likely does, don't know if it ever got elevated.

Even though cartridge filters are a little more trouble to change than a spin on. I can see right off if there are any problens with it. My Fusion has a cartridge. Wish the Focus did.

There was a PL10111 ... no Purolator is totally immune from this issue. Keep on wearing the blinders.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: telecat
Still no Classic L10111 (which I run) in the spreadsheet.

I'll be cutting one open in the next day or two. Being that its currently on my new car, I hope it doesn't have any tears for both of our sakes.
smile.gif

Cut open a 14460 from 2013 (see it pays to not throw yer used filters out!) and...

TORN

Just as the others, near the glue on the seam just beside the crimp. Ran that one 6000 miles. I may have another P1 14460 in the pile... One on the car now at ~5K miles... off she comes! dammit. Pics later.

Originally Posted By: oaklandish_wrx
Cut open a 14460 from 2013 (see it pays to not throw yer used filters out!) and...

TORN

Just as the others, near the glue on the seam just beside the crimp. Ran that one 6000 miles. I may have another P1 14460 in the pile... One on the car now at ~5K miles... off she comes! dammit. Pics later.

date code F12B18D1: made in 2010? December, no?

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab145/oaklandish_WRX/download_zps709609e7.jpg

14460 fail

date code F12B18D1: made in 2010? December, no?

Yep, made Dec 18, 2010.

So, got my last (ever) P1 14460 off saturday....TORN. 5275 miles in the subaru; same date code as above.

Granted, it was a small tear, at one end of the pleat closest to the crimp. Pics to come. I did notice that this filter's pleats near the crimp were more evenly space and the last pleat was not all flattened out. UOA sampled, so well see how much damage has been done with these [censored] filters over the past year.

P15275milestear_zpscd42b0f7.jpg

tear is to the left of the crimp, circled (thinly) in yellow. Glad I pulled it off the car now...was not due for another month.

Twice burned (at a minimum), forever shy. Bye bye puro's!

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics of an FL820S before it went for recycling, but I thought it was worth sharing my findings and observations.

Firstly, the filter was used for 8700 miles / 15 months. The vehicle was pushed to high speeds a few times, most notably on a interstate trip when the ambient temperature was 100f.

One of the end caps fell off which surprised me. There was wider spacing at the seams and waviness. The media was very stiff and with a little pressure I was able to tear it.

This is the exact opposite of Overkill's recent report where he said the media was pliable and he couldn't tear the media near the glue and that the potting flexed with the media.

Unfortunately, I can't say for sure whether my media was already slightly torn or not. I was actually looking for debris and may have put pressure on a pleat near the seam. But in any case, I'm not altogether comfortable running such a filter too long.

The good news is that my UOA came back with very good results so maybe the filter was intact enough until I started examining it.

I find it interesting that some are reporting stiff media while some have pliable media.

Additionally, I used Gumout Fuel System Cleaner early on in the oci and I'm wondering if this had any effect.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Purolator: "We are unaware of any such issue."

Say WHAT?!

It's probably correct what that person says, as "we" represents someone in marketing or small group far FAR away from the Failure Analysis or Product Eng group. It's a legal response too - they won't admit to failure so they can't be held liable.

UOA came back OK... whew.
Are you trying to tell me your UOA came back normal, after using the Devil's filter? What will the Purohaters ever say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back