Amsoil Powersports 5w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I'm new to the forum. I recently emailed amsoil asking when they would make a 5w50 for us polaris owners. He mailed me back today and told me they were working on such a product now and hoped to release it by the end of the year. Just wanted to pass this along!

Yeah same here he assured me the 0w40 would work in the meantime but I just don't like using another viscosity other than the recommended weight.

Give t-6 5w40 from rotella some thought. It's rated for wet clutches and reasonably priced. I run this in my durmax and yahama atv. If it can hold up to a diesel engine then a atv would be no problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simplistic
Give t-6 5w40 from rotella some thought. It's rated for wet clutches and reasonably priced. I run this in my durmax and yahama atv. If it can hold up to a diesel engine then a atv would be no problem.

I hear this all the time, I don't want to run Rotella, Polaris quads don't have wet clutches, I don't want a wet clutch oil. I want friction modifiers and I want a 50 weight oil for better ring seal on the cylinder wall. I run Schaeffer's 5w50 now and love it, but if Amsoil starts making that weight oil then I'll run the Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
Originally Posted By: simplistic

I hear this all the time, I don't want to run Rotella, Polaris quads don't have wet clutches, I don't want a wet clutch oil. I want friction modifiers and I want a 50 weight oil for better ring seal on the cylinder wall. I run Schaeffer's 5w50 now and love it, but if Amsoil starts making that weight oil then I'll run the Amsoil.

I would assume that if they are going to offer a 5W-50 version of their powersports oil, it would be wet clutch compatible just like the 0W-40. This way they could market it to more than just Polaris owners.

I guess I just assumed that if Amsoil made a 5w50 that it would be marketed to Polaris ATV/UTV riders and contain friction modifiers. Polaris is by far the biggest seller of UTVs, all recommending 5w50 and a whole lot of ATVs too. I have one each and am hoping for friction modifiers.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
I guess I just assumed that if Amsoil made a 5w50 that it would be marketed to Polaris ATV/UTV riders and contain friction modifiers. Polaris is by far the biggest seller of UTVs, all recommending 5w50 and a whole lot of ATVs too. I have one each and am hoping for friction modifiers.

Now that I think about it, there are actually some Polaris models that do have a wet clutch...the Outlaw and Predator. If Amsoil is going to market this as a replacement for PS-4, I would think it would have to be compatible with those models since that's what Polaris says to use in them.

12.gif

I've used Castrol 5w-50 and Mobil 1 15w-50 in my 800 RZR. Can't tell any difference from factory oil.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I've used Castrol 5w-50 and Mobil 1 15w-50 in my 800 RZR. Can't tell any difference from factory oil.
Currently using Mobil 1 15W-50 in my Polaris Ranger.

After seeing voa's showing ps4 in the 20w50 range I'm actually considering the mobil 15w50 as it doesn't get very cold in southern nc. Also ps4 extreme is 10w50 so this probably is an excellent choice.

Anyone have any further word on the Amsoil 5w50? I checked their website just now and it lists nothing new in the 4-cycle section. I was really hoping for this one soonish, my stash of Schaeffer's 5w50 will only last until spring, hopefully we'll have this by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back