Rented a Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what does the replacement big battery cost?

A good question, one which is discussed quite extensively in the first 5 pages of this very thread!

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what does the replacement big battery cost?

There's a company local to me that will swap out your battery for a remanufactured one for $1100... and they'll come to you and do it in your driveway.

Averaging that cost out over tens to maybe hundreds of thousands of miles and several years still has you coming out well ahead even with this added cost.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Call me crazy, but I'd take one of these over a prius any day:

03-2014-mitsubishi-mirage-review-1.jpg

Cheap, basic, simple transportation. Capable of prius like mileage in the real world.

I'm considering getting a super high MPG commuter car next year. My Focus is just a junky bucket of rattling bolts right now and I have little trust in the car (only has 70K miles on it).
I was considering a Prius. But no matter how I computed the numbers....paying $25k for a new commuter car is out of the question. (I don't want used anything either). I like the new Honda Fit...but with a CVT (needed for girlfriend) it's about $17-18k. Still too much. Same for Corolla basically.
Then I came to the Mitsubishi Mirage. $14-15k w/CVT. And I'm sure it can be had for less. No real negative ratings for this car except that it isn't a powerhouse with a three cylinder engine (who expects that?). SUPER good MPG's that aren't negated by a high sticker price. No...not the best looking car but certainly fine for a commuter.
I've been reading about many folks getting much better than the stated MPG to.
We'll see next year maybe.

^ Yep, loving my MItsubishi Mirage ES w/CVT ... got it out the door for a bit over $14k. Averaging 48mpg.

It's not a car for the aggressive, impatient, or image-conscious.
wink.gif

At that rate those will depreciate you'll probably be able to pick up a lightly used one for $7k in a couple of years. Good value if you need a money saving machine.

The problem is is that operation of a taxi is different than operation of a daily driver vehicle in a household. Taxis are always on the go, and almost always on, keeping the batteries topped off. Daily drivers have their engines off more than they're on, cranking often, often travel short distances, etc., demanding much more from a battery pack.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'm considering getting a super high MPG commuter car next year. My Focus is just a junky bucket of rattling bolts right now and I have little trust in the car (only has 70K miles on it).
I was considering a Prius. But no matter how I computed the numbers....paying $25k for a new commuter car is out of the question. (I don't want used anything either). I like the new Honda Fit...but with a CVT (needed for girlfriend) it's about $17-18k. Still too much. Same for Corolla basically.

Have you looked at the Prius C? 50mpg combined for ~$20k.

I had no idea Mitsubishi was still selling vehicles in the US until I saw this thread.

Resale on a Prius/C, Yaris, Fit, Corolla or Civic will be much, much better than a Mirage.

Looking at Fuelly.com Prius C owners are getting 50mpg and Mirage owners are getting 40mpg.

Car and Driver ranks the Mirage 15th on its list of subcompacts (Fit is #1, Fiesta is #2). The subtitle of the their review is "Sad Trombone". Ouch.
http://www.caranddriver.com/mitsubishi/mirage

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FocusTi
Get on the highway with the Prius and re-set the MPG calculator. It won't be any better than any other 4-cylinder car, as the electric motor adds no assist at freeway speeds.

FocusTi- so now you're claiming the 48MPG EPA highway rating is inaccurate? Just googled for some real-world testing reviews and found 55MPG highway on the Prius IV from CR:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/toyota/prius.htm

Originally Posted By: FocusTi
The Prius owners that crack me up are the ones that bought it for better MPG in mostly highway driving. They rule inner-city MPG, but do no better than a Camry at highway speeds.

Show me a 4 cylinder Camry that does 48-55MPG highway and I'll stop talking. Unless you have a very narrow range of "any other 4 cylinder car", I don't think you're going to come out as accurate on this.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

The CVT allows it to select the most efficient rpm for the power needed, plus its much more aerodynamic than most other cars. Every thing I've read is that Prius owners average high 40's on the highway, while most 4 cyl's might break into the 40's for the odd tank, but average high 30's. Plus as the speed inceases the Prius aero drag advantage increases.

Good listing, but you forgot atkinson cycle engine
smile.gif

I get 51-3 mpg going 65 mph on HW during warm season. Extended 75mph gets me 45mpg. I have 5500 miles on the clock since new and car life time avg is 50.2 for 50/50 city/HW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back