Conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Tesla has made both their competitors and the public question age-old conclusions made about the viability of electric cars... so much so that many mainstream players are developing their own versions... just in case...

Tesla have also made their Competitors jobs easier, They have made all their Designs, and R&D work Freely available to anyone who wants it. they've become an open source car company.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
There are a couple of myths in this discussion.

We have plenty of cars that run on LPG over here and pretty much all the taxis.

Here are a couple of drawbacks:

The engine contrary to popular belief will last about 70% of it's designed life if run only on LPG.

The car needs to start on gasoline during the cold weather and then switch to LPG.

The power output is smaller from the same engine.

The savings overall are marginal and this system is worth considering only if you do 30K+ miles a year.

CNG/=LPG! Two different fuels!

I have seen the opposite from propane engines: I tore one down that was in a GMC van...retired from Highway Department service with ~160,000 miles. It was a supervisor's van...so basically, it spent all day idling at work sites to run heat or A/C! (I suspect it was started at 8am, ran all day, and shut down at 4:30pm, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year!) The inside of that engine looked brand new! Bearings were perfect, zero sludge anywhere, piston tops spotless, valves clean, no cylinder ridge...even had clear honing marks in all cylinders!

Originally Posted By: Garak
And, I've had 1,000,000 km out of an LPG vehicle, and run several that did not use gasoline whatsoever, and look at our winters here.

Likewise. I ran an entire fleet of little Ford flatnose vans on LPG and the engine life was virtually infinite.

And despite the cheerleaders here, Tesla has made most of its money selling tax credits and using government subsidies. They simply do NOT sell enough cars to be viable as a stand alone corporation. It's a long way to the finish line, this is far from a sorted out field...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back