Brand New Premium Guard PG4476 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
No silicon ADBV (black is nitrile or butyl(?)). In TX, it might not get cold enough to make a difference. One problem is the cheap cellulose paper filter media performing at a poor level of filtration & dirt holding capacity. Otherwise, it won't blow up an engine probably, unless its made by tearing-media Purolator.

Construction looks decent. Korean made products seem to be a notch higher than China made. Wonder if you could find out what the filtering efficiency really is. I take it you bought these for a business use since you have 72 filters sitting on the bench.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Construction looks decent. Korean made products seem to be a notch higher than China made. Wonder if you could find out what the filtering efficiency really is. I take it you bought these for a business use since you have 72 filters sitting on the bench.
grin.gif

71 filters...

Originally Posted By: DSparks
Ebay.....$8.51 per case shipped to your door....oil filter heaven...

What in heavens name do you do with that many filters regardless of the price?

What do you do with them if your car gets totaled?

I may keep 1 or 2 filters on hand but I use high end filters too.

I use them on rental equipment we own and customers units that we service in our shop....industrial OPE....kohler commands, briggs vanguards, gx hondas...all v-twins....also some kubota and kohler 2 and 3 cylinder water cooled diesels....Newer engines and in warrranty engines get OEM filters...anything else gets the cheap stuff....never had any problems...OPE even though it runs hotter and are mostly air cooled except the diesels dont seem to care ...they are easy on filters imho...

Last edited:
OK, that makes perfect since now.

Just couldn't imagine anyone getting 48 filters for their vehicle. Heck I change my oil approx. twice a year or less, that would last 24 years. I've yet to have an auto last me that long. LOL

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
71 cents per filter? Where are you getting those?

You get what you pay for (.71 cents per filter).

Good reason to not use a 'shop' to do your oil and filter changes, unless you bring in your own oil and filter, and can see them do it.

Construction looks OK, but pleats are very far apart, and ADBV is nitrate. Questionable efficiency and unknown media material. A 3 to 5K filter at best. Nothing 'Permium' about them, IMO.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
grin.gif

71 filters...

lol

When it comes the jobber filters like the Premium Guard shown, the Prime Guard which according to at least one website is made in China, or the AAP DriveWorks also made in China, to me they all 'appear' to be well made in the spin-on type. This is no exception.

As for efficiency if that is a concern, that is generally vague, unauthoritative or unknown. Then again, if that or coo is not a priority as it isn't for many, all of the above should function satisfactorily for a standard ~5-6k mi. oci.

Thanks for the pics.

I asked the seller what the micron rating and efficiency is on these filters and they responded with "B10=X"....whats that mean?

I asked the seller what the micron rating and efficiency is on these filters and they responded with "B10=X"....whats that mean?

It means "X" is the missing information you need.
frown.gif

Beta ratio written in that format usually means 90% efficiency at X microns. You need X.

It could also mean at 10 microns the efficiency is X ... but I'm betting it's the former.

Great, now when we ask companies a spec question like:
"Whats VI of your oil?" Answer: "X. What do you want it to be?"
"I want X to be 221". Answer: "Then thats what it is! You win. Buy it now?"

A Monty Python skit there.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: sayjac
....As for efficiency if that is a concern, that is generally vague, unauthoritative or unknown. Then again, if that or coo is not a priority as it isn't for many, all of the above should function satisfactorily for a standard ~5-6k mi. oci....

...As I said. But considering the target market, mainly jobbers I assume, knowing exact efficiency not a priority for many/most of them either. And, at .71 cents a filter I wouldn't have has too great an expectation if it being otherwise, and it doesn't put it out of the ordinary with other jobber filters.

Otoh, if one were paying a premium price like ~$15 for a filter and it had no published standard ISO 4548 -12 test efficiency, then I would consider it a scam, and certainly hiding something. But that's not the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back