Smartphone GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh? Will look into that too.

Still doing my research. The Tracfone Androids only work on "native" Verizon towers, and that would give me coverage for 95% of my needs. I haven't figured out what happens out of state though. I *think* it will work good enough, but haven't figured out where I run into roaming issues.

Not interested in carrying two cellphones.

Well, the phone showed up today. LG Dynamic II, the LG39C model. I have it charging right now, and it shows one bar for reception. So I'm guessing it will work. Have not activated it just yet, a bit leery of transferring my minutes off my dumb phone, waiting for my wife to come home to remind me what our WiFi password is. Have to say, its a nice small package, looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

[Was advised to get a new number, test it out, then if service is bad or if I hate the phone then I don't have to touch my old phone and its old number, and I get to keep all the minutes--I can transfer minutes from dumb to smart but not vice versa.]

Anything to report on using your new phone? My Tracfone service time runs out in August, though it has almost 2400 minutes on it. Current phone is an LG 840G(refurb, looked new, got it for $16 shipped!), *looks* like it might be a little bit smart, but being Java based it's pretty dumb. For the past coupla days I've been looking at the model you bought(LG Optimus Dynamic II L39C). It'll cost an absolute minimum of ~$65 to extend my current phone for a year, adding only 90 minutes(30x3) in the process. For double that, I could get a new LG39C, 1200 minutes & a year service, a few extra goodies like car charger, case & some apps, & I'd have a GPS to play with. Hmm...

Anyhow I'd be interested to hear your opinion on your new phone.

If anyone else is interested, the phone/1200 min/1 yr/extras is avail from HSN. Use coupons or discounts if you're a new customer to reduce price to what I mentioned above. If you have lotsa TF minutes saved up, you can get the bare naked phone for less than $90 shipped thru AZon or Evilbay.

Oops, I don't wander around in bitog as often as I ought to.

I uh, haven't activated the phone yet. Despite having it for, err, three weeks now. In that time I've received&sent two text messages and answered one call (on my dumbphone). And it was a heavy usage week too at that.

But I might give in today and do that. My dumbphone isn't going a week now w/o needing a charge.

Anyhow, I've used the gps several times. Works very well. Finds the sats in a minute or two--my old Garmen Etrex (Etracks?) would take 15 minutes. If it worked at all. I even turned the gps on while driving, and left the unit on the console, and it seemed to still read properly! Quite pleased with that.

Super tiny keyboard, i find it easy to mistype. OTOH it has this predictive typing, and I can just select the word above it.

It's about what I want, although I can easily see why larger phones are all the rage.

My coworker, who is a bit of a nerd about these things, was relatively impressed with the unit. He said it was not laggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back