Any reason NOT to run 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on running 0w20 QSUD this winter in my '11 F150 5.0 instead of the recommended 5w20. I cant forsee any reason it would be a bad idea on a light duty daily driver and should help on cold start protection, just wanted to make sure my logic is sound.

There should be no issue. From what I understand, 0W-20 can be used in 5W-20 applications, just like 0W-30 can be used in 5W-30 and 10W-30 applications.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Planning on running 0w20 QSUD this winter in my '11 F150 5.0 instead of the recommended 5w20. I cant forsee any reason it would be a bad idea on a light duty daily driver and should help on cold start protection, just wanted to make sure my logic is sound.

If you're going to pay for a synthetic oil anyway, then there's no functional reason to buy 5W-20 instead of 0W-20. 0W-20 will be lighter at startup, which can benefit pretty much anybody, and there's no cost difference between it and a synthetic 5W-20.

It becomes less of a no-brainer when someone who uses conventional 5W-20 is considering spending more money for a synthetic 0W-20. Then you'd want to more carefully weigh the pros and cons, looking at climate, change interval, return on investment, and all that.

I've read on BITOG that TGMO, and the Japanese OEM 0W20s are too thin to use in Fords, but would take that with a grain of salt.

Your choice appears sound to me.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
M1 0w-20 meets the Ford requirement for 5w-20. Should be no issues.

+1 - M1 AFE 0W-20 runs like a dream in my 5.4L. I plan to try M1 EP 0W-20 after this run of AFE is completed (about 2K more miles to hit 16.5K).

Car maker expect and design their vehicule for 10 psi of oil pressure per thousand rpm.you should be fine since car maker of your car already suggest *w20

Some Japanese "light" 0w20 have high moly treat rates which might cause cleanliness issuse in the ringlands and after treatment and sensor failure if you have high oil usage and operate under very high torque loads. Some blends don't pass ILSAC spec for bench TEOST deposit weight which may only be an issue in high load and or turbo applications. The 0w-xx got a API/ILSAC waiver - as short term efficiency/CAFE is UBER ALLES in these intended applications.

Last edited:
Truck will be out of warranty before next oci. I beleive that the qsud meets api/ilsac as well as dexos. 5w20 lists the fomoco spec on bottle but 0w20 does not.

Truck will be out of warranty before next oci. I beleive that the qsud meets api/ilsac as well as dexos. 5w20 lists the fomoco spec on bottle but 0w20 does not.

I could be wrong on this as I'm not home right now to check the bottles I have, but QSUD 0W-20 is not Dexos certified.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

I could be wrong on this as I'm not home right now to check the bottles I have, but QSUD 0W-20 is not Dexos certified.

According to the PDS it is.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007601813_20130802170_9.pdf

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

According to the PDS it is.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007601813_20130802170_9.pdf

Thats not the QSUD full synthetic, its their synthetic blend "ED" (Enhanced Durability).

They are probably simply saving on per-bottle royalty fees to GM by skipping dexos1 for QSUD 0w-20, giving dexos1 'rights' to their blend. Appears odd, I know. Pennzoil Platinum does the same thing, no 0w-20 for dexos1 in a FULL synthetic, only a 0w-20 blend. http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

It might change in the future, although you can't always trust the .pdf spec sheets since they are famous for typo/copy/paste errors. Evidently a billion dollar corporation can't get proofreading, shown many times to be the case.

Last edited:
Do any GM cars even specify 0W-20? Perhaps that's the reason why Shell decided not to certify those oils. I believe the 5W-20 that I bought at the same time did have "Dexos" labeled on the front of the bottle.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Car maker expect and design their vehicule for 10 psi of oil pressure per thousand rpm.

Got any links to that ?

That's the rule of thumb for small blocks and the like, but scarcely an international specification agreed on by car manufacturers.

Quick question on 0W20 synthetic oils : If M1 0W20 AFE is a thick 20W oil at operating temperature AND meets GF-1 as well as dexos 1 then what could possibly be a concern with back specing it's useage in any engine that calls for 5W20 as a preferred oil weight ? A lightest weight Japanese 0W20 maybe but hard to imagine for perhaps the thickest 0W20 (M1 AFE) and next thickest (at operating temp) QSUD 0W20 used in a 5W20 application ?

QS may not but both flavors of M1 0W-20 do:

Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20

Mobl 1 EP 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back