Beware of Chinese Craftsman wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
No one is going to be able to tell me they went from the top design to the bottom design and kept materials and production the same. Same part number, LOL.
USAvChina_zpsf3b3cebf.jpg

Link

I agree. They went to a much cheaper material. I find the new design to be annoying too. Lol. Anyways I used a ballpein hammer on them to change a co workers brakes on his Acura.. They have dings all over them now. You wouldn't believe me if I said they were just used the one time. They have a lifetime warranty and they are my expendable set. I don't care. Lol.

I think most Americans are ready to pay more for items made in the USA. There is just too much [censored] on the shelves today and people are getting tired of it.

I bought one set of the 5/8-1/4 range wrenches in the new form since I needed some spares at work. I rate them as fair to ok. I wouldn't buy them again.

The sockets are decent though.

Last edited:
To be fair, the latest version of the Chinese raised panel wrenches no longer have the lobster claw. They are normal sized like the USA versions. I still wouldn't consider buying them but it looks like they might be improved a bit now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joe_H
To be fair, the latest version of the Chinese raised panel wrenches no longer have the lobster claw. They are normal sized like the USA versions. I still wouldn't consider buying them but it looks like they might be improved a bit now.

This is good to know. Maybe if I broke all my wrenches I could get the more desirable replacements.
wink.gif

Just for fun, here is a picture comparing two 11/16 Craftsman wrenches. The top one is from my older set and the lower one is from my "new" circa 1990 set. Imagine the pain if I had to warranty the top one nowadays. Enjoy.
IMG_0500_zpsec3aaee9.jpg

I'm still using some of those older ones from top of your pic. ^^ Most commonly, I use the 3/4 from that set since it gives me the most swing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back