best flashlight batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need a few D cells as several of mine have died at the same time. im not interested in rechargables. any brand better than the rest? this last batch were walgreens alkaline store brand. made in usa so i assumed they would last a long time but one fails and kills the other it seems.

I use a lot of Rayovac these days, cheaper and still made in the USA, though Duracell and Energizer are common. It depends where I am when I remember we need batteries.

Walgreens alkalines are okay, and good when on sale. I would stick with those or Rayovac like mentioned, since they will eventually need to be replaced anyways.

Rechargeable are worth the look if you actually want to use your light; reconsider!

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I use a lot of Rayovac these days, cheaper and still made in the USA, though Duracell and Energizer are common. It depends where I am when I remember we need batteries.

+1

Energizer's and Duracell's are the alkalines which last me the longest. Personally I use high output rechargeable batteries and recharge using a fast charger (15min). Has saved me a ton of money.

I thought you were going to talk about 18650's. Haven't used D cells in a long time and don't use any flashlights with D cells. Dealextreme has tons of flashlights, but lately I've been getting mine from shiningbeam.com.

agree,
if you're at a stage where you're about to spend money on D batteries, you can consider making the jump and buy a new flashlight too to save you money. You're throwing good money after bad.

That being said, if you must buy d batteries, just get whatever's (new) on sale at costco, or equivalent warehouse store.

Pick up a fenix light as a starting point would be my recommendation of something with a higher QC and reliability. The low-cost unbranded flashlights tend to be a bit more hit-or-miss.

I use Costco's Kirkland batteries for my non-rechargeable batteries. They cost less then Duracells, and they last just as long. Though now that I think about it, my D size batteries are all Duracells, so I don't think Costco makes a D size battery.

Where are your flashlights normally stored? The reason I ask is because I use lithium batteries for the flashlights I keep in the car. Although they cost more, they last longer than standard batteries, and can handle high heat and low colds better than standard batteries. They're like the synthetic oil of batteries. All my cars have a D size maglite, and AA LED flashlights in them. The AA lights all have lithium batteries in them, because in the event I need a flashlight on the side of the road, I want to know the batteries are good and the light's going to work.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Out of curiosity, what are the flashlights being used?
maglights. all but 1 are led now. i checked the one i carry in my truck and one battery was completly dead.

when we put my dad in a home we then cleaned out the junk he had hoarded for 80 yrs. he had over 200 flashlights. mostly cheap plastic ones but i kept the 8 or so maglights.

Avoid the new Costco Kirkland alkaline batteries. Not sure who makes them, but I have had more duds with them.........and frankly never ever had a dud with Rayovac, Duracell or Energizer. The Kirkland D's are better than the AA and AAA's. I've had more than one dud per package! You can take them back, but still. I wonder who makes Costco batteries? Did it change?

Anyway:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?64660-Alkaline-Battery-Shoot-Out

Anybody know anything about the Duracell "High Density Core"? I hear mixed reviews at work from customers.. And there is a whole bunch of them that are marked down.
laugh.gif

i have seen articals on making batt chargers for alkaline batts. on the the internet. but i have been told you must charge them very slowly.

and only use them in items you can throw away WHEN NOT IF they leak.
i only use alkalines in stuff that i consider disposable.or to load trinkets that get sold on ebay,ect.nimh and li-ion for me!
if it cant be ran on either it gets tossed into the "trinkets to list on ebay"box.
when i can get a 3 xm-l2 4 18650 beercan light for about $24 shipped and rip 8 18650 cells out of a free nos laptop pack suddenly alkalines cost way too much.
even the 4d mag under the seat in my truck is led modded and runs 8ah d nimh cells.
adds a bit of weight for the real reason its there!
Originally Posted By: morris
i have seen articals on making batt chargers for alkaline batts. on the the internet. but i have been told you must charge them very slowly.

Here in ultra-hot South Florida, alkaline batteries leak before they die. Especially if left in the car during the day.

I've had the very best results with Duracell batteries. The Costco AA's leak almost instantly.

The Duracell's make it many years without trouble. Even my Eveready's leak faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back