What oil to use in my Saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used max life in my Saturn but since I'm getting divorced and have half the income that I once had I need to cut back. I usually change the oil between 3,000-5,000 in cute Saturn's are hard on oil. What would be a good oil for my money? A little cheaper than max life would be great.

Any 10w 30 in summer, and a high mileage 5w 30 in winter, whatever its on sale. If it really starts to drink oil a 5w 40 or 15w 40 hdeo in summer. It has a long timing chain so i hate to use really thick oil in the winter.

Maxlife is already... $17 for the jug? You'll want to stick with a high mileage oil and there aren't many other options. If you're looking to save a few dollars, just run Maxlife to 6,000 miles.

I'm thinking an HDEO will be good since it's cheap and durable. A cheap syn like supertech would allow for longer oci. Maybe the hdeo would too

SuperTech, NAPA, Autozone, any house brand 5W-30 Dino oil will last 3,000 miles.

I picked up 10 quarts of house brand for $20 recently..

Use a Fram 3600 or Purolator 20195 oil filter, longer than the original 3614...

Last edited:
How much time do you have until you need to do a change?

Sales are the first thing that come to mind. Lots of people get oils dirt cheap.

Supertech, if wpp and if it has a real API cert and the starburst and all can fill any gaps in a pinch.

Extending OCI to 6000 is also a smart move. I'd consider reusing the filter too. Our integra was specified to change the filter only every other time (15k) and there were no ill effects.

Sorry for your divorce, even more sorry for the kids.

Don't extend the OCI on a Saturn unless you use a full synthetic.

Drainback grooves on the pistons clog, causing rings to carbon up, and then oil burning...

3000 Dino
6000-7500 full Synthetic

The cheapest 10w30 and filter you can find, changed at 5000-6000 mile intervals. If it's using some oil or leaking, try some 10w40.

I have dealt with a few older Saturn engines, and even with 3,000 mile oil changes, they can still get dirty.

Supertech isn't expensive and you can get it at Walmart. It is API SN rated, and that is all you need.

If getting a 5qt jug is cheaper than buying individual quarts, buy the 5qt jug, because those engines will always burn oil. I think this engine takes 4qt, but it has been a long time since I have worked with one.

I think you can fit a Motorcraft FL400 to that engine, and you can get those at Walmart. They are a great filter for the price you pay.

I think maxlife up to $18 a jug here as well as Penn HM.
Defy is only $16 iirc, ST HM, HAVO HM, MS5K HM, or house brand HM probably can be found cheaper that maxlife at Wally.
I'd go with the Defy myself or super tech, keep an eye out for clearance 10w40 oils I've seen them quite few places, and dollar general might have BOGO on peak at some point too.

Use the cheapest oil you can buy. I'd go with ST. Ran great in mine till 240k when I donated when the clucth went out. Wish I still had it. Its probably still running today. No need for a 'high mileage' oil. It probably burns enough as it is and the HM oil won't make any difference in that.

It doesn't burn much oil maybe a quart in 3000 miles and most of my driving is highway.
I want a conventional I can run to 5000 tops and will keep her clean. I know Saturn's are [censored] on oil so for a Dino it may be a tough challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back