Fram XG4967 10,000 mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally changed the M1 EP 5W30 in the xB in my sig, 9995 miles, roughly a year. This is a tiny filter, but there was very little in the pleats, and a small amount of powdered carbon is visible in the bottom. Went back with EP again & an oversize XG3600, may make that 15K run if the UOA comes back OK. Not sure that an M-80 would have blown up the element, I bent 2 small screwdrivers taking it apart to get the screen out (posted elsewhere here).

XG4967a-1.jpg

XG4967.jpg

Proves once again that Ultra spin-on filters are good, except I don't like all the wide pleats, they could have put more media in there.

Full synthetic media is 3-D filtering as opposed to 2-D filtering with cellulose media. So may not need as much media area. If the Ultra can hold 15K worth of debris, it has plenty of filtering area/volume.

Pleats were a little wide around the seam, but nice and "fuzzy" (that's a scientific term), I had to use needle nose pliers & peel the end cap like the lid of a sardine can-the end caps were NOT coming off otherwise. This Ultra is a little guy, but far tougher than any Purolator or any non-synthetic filter I've cut open. Even the Bosch Distance Plus element was weaker (although the can was heavier).

Looks good.

Very tank-like.

But it's hard to mess up a small filter like this.

The span for the media from top to bottom is short so there's not going to be much opportunity for twisting or any other type of deformation.

An STP in this size would probably look great too.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
Proves once again that Ultra spin-on filters are good, except I don't like all the wide pleats, they could have put more media in there.

There is a reasoning behind this or at least that is what Fram tech service led me to believe. With the synthetic media, if they were to put more media it may restrict oil flow and open the bypass. The told me that with their in house extensive lab research they found that less "pleats" and synthetic media were the best balance.

Excellent little filter. I ran the 6607 (smaller than above) on the soob, then switched to the 7317, which has lots of media and I plan on running 1 year OCI's with AFE.

The ultra can is one of the best filters out there... especially at $9. I've even considered running it on my motorbike with a bales adapter
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back